Here froggy froggy

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by center12, Jul 1, 2006.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Taking the boy and one of his friends out tonight for their first frog gigging trip, with the heat and the holiday boat traffic frogging may be the only way to enjoy the lake. Hope the boys get a good mess, I do love froglegs.

Anyone else going to partake of the frog opener??

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    good luck on the froggin'!

-Red

3. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I may go out for a while tonight too. Tyler is bugging me to go. I will probably just use a light instead of a gig though. I haven't seen my gig for awhile. Nothing like a good mess of legs for the Fourth of July.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

bring em by my house there are over 100 frogs easy can barely walk around at night without stepping on at least one are two. Good thing about it though is that i don't have a lot of skeeters are flies are anything like that. We have a few but not many.:big_smile:

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Seems it's a good year for frogs:big_smile: .

We had our 3 man limit in right at an hour and never left the boat..........we were dry!!!

Broke the gig with about 6 frogs left so showed the boys how to hand grab, I think they enjoyed that the best.

Peeling the skin off the legs gave them a ton of trouble, of course I wouldn't part with the catfish skinning pliers so all they had was a pair of needlenosed pliers.

One frog(a BIG one) had a snakes tail sticking out of it's mouth..........ended up have a 12"+ garter snake in it:eek:oooh: .

Wish I didn't have to work tonight, I'd be back for a repeat performance............I'll be out of leg's by 6, love them froglegs.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

man frog legs sound great, i havent had them in alot of years,but i know no one else will eat them here so i dont bother going ,glad you and your boy had fun

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Love some frog legs. There used to be a local resturant in Circleville, called Kellys. They had a seafood buffet every Friday night with Frog Legs on it. Man I miss that place.

8. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yall just wait till DH hears that yall are after his little frogs............hehehe

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Bait is gooooood.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I think I would have a hard time deciding whether to eat them or put them on a limbline.:tounge_out:

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    BAIT.............Bait................are you all crazy or what????????????

Big Bull Toad is some of the finest eating known to man, why just the thought of 'wasting" a prime bullfrog on an old grizzled up catfish nearly brings me to tears:big_smile: .

I better get it while the gettings good, creels only 8 here in KS and I eat em faster than that:smile2:

12. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Oops, my bad I would never use a big ol bullfrog for bait. That's what the live rats are for.:embarassed:

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    AH, I think someone has come up with a way to get rid of the left over part of the frog. Let's see..... Live, bloody and available, LOL!!!

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Chris, now that's the ticket..........use up them lowly rats..............actually I hear their pretty smart...................had one beat me through a maze in high school, some aptitude test or something..................:big_smile: :eek:oooh: :big_smile:

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Actually I've never tried Bullfrogs for bait(can ya tell), do you think the cat's would mind if them toads was missing their springs???????????:cool2:

16. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Might leave a good blood trail if the catfish can get there before the turtles. I've acutally never used a bullfrog, but those big leapord frogs are just about the best bait around.

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Leapord frog's is top notch, I'm just to slow to catch them...........start'n to feel my age. Hot down that way? Figure we'll have a blaze up here before the 4th is over.............we need a rain bad.

18. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    all this talk on frog legs is making me hungry. what are some of the ways you do up your frog legs?

19. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I havent made them forever..........just looking for some recipes

20. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    We used a 75 foot seine net one year and put it in a semicircle along the bank of my buddy's pond. We angled it at about 45 degrees and then chased all the leapord frogs into the net. I think we hurt the population of frogs because we ended up catching so many, but man do those frogs work good.