here comes the rain again

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by warcraft1975, Jul 3, 2008.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

man i swear this water just wont stop.every time i think i will be able to hit my fav spots on the kaw the water just keeps comeing and going just way to fast.kinda getting depressed havent caught a flathead yet this season.geuss i will have to get re intrudeced to the local lakes even though i hate lakes. anyone else hateing the rain about now?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's not just your river. The same thing keeps happening here. I went fishing a couple of weeks ago. My buddy reeled in a 16 pound female full of eggs. he was fishing in about 4 foot of water. on our way back up the river to go home, we had to go up a smaller river to get to the boat ramp. as soon as we turned into the mouth and got into shallow water I seen a 40-50 pounder come to the surface and boil the water right off the side of the boat. My pulse climbed quick!. In a short stretch of river we seen 7-8 flathead turn as we got close to them. all in 2-3 foot of water. Meaning to me that the next couple weeks are gonna be some good fishing. It rained the next day and brought the rivers back up. the night we decided it was low enough to fish again it rained again. and yesterday on my lunch hour I went to check it out. Finally fishable again. Guess what??? It downpoured right after work. Now the waters are muddy and high again. There is a festival in the park where we launch our boats this weekend. so even if the water is right. the ramps closed! I FEEL YOUR FRUSTRATION, BROTHER!

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Same story on my Little River. Up and down,up and down. Just when the mud dries, its up again. I have other places to fish but its close and I like fishin it. The only lake I fish is high, most campsites are underwater. I need to make it down below the dam because they will be lettin out ALOT of water.Weird year with the rain.I for one cant wait for things to stabilize.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It looks like the Missouri & Kansas rivers both jumped up 3-3 1/2 feet overnight in Kansas City with the rain we had. Will it ever stop?

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It sure is going to mess up the weekend. It's fishable, but the combination of debris from the rise and the ongoing sharp drop isn't usually very productive.

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i wish yall would send us some of that rain. we got .44 inches yesterday for the first rain in 76 days. good luck on drying out, just don't ask for too much dry.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    atleast the ark is stable but its just a small river

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah this rain sucks. Wish it was done by the end of May like it was supposed to have been. Two years ago, I bought two 12' Ugly Stiks , specifically for fishing the rocks on the Kaw at 435. Ive only been able to use them 4 times down there. That Kaw keeps coming back up and swallowing my bank spots. :angry:

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have always wondered what the heck this kind of constant water level change does to the spawn? Especially during times of heavy flooding during the time the fish should be on the nest.

Do you think they still find the same holes, or is that even possible with the water constantly changing and moving those holes??:confused2:

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

to be honest i wonder if years like this of real high water and such if they spawn at all.i dont think they all would thats for sure the females may just reasorb the eggs till next time

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    last year the water was high here in great bend and in august and september we caught some females full of eggs so i think we missed the spawn last year