Here another issue

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Team Hold EM Hook, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    I can put my boat in the water 97 evinrude 50hp 2cyl, crank it up and have the hot water light and warning beep come on in less than 10 seconds and it goes into SLOW mode.( I am no professional mechanic but I know an engine could not overheat that fast under normal conditions) I can shut it off and crank it right back up and go w/o it coming on again. I unhooked the brown wire going into the back side of the engine and grounded it to the engine and beeper and light come on. I have left this wire completely unhooked and it will come on and again I can shut it off, crank back up and go no problem. I have checked the themostat and it's fine. Checked my water ports and have water going through them. I replaced the power pack when it started doing this but it still does it. Now, I'll let you have a guess at it cause I ain't got a clue! Which wire can I un-hook to diable the SLOW mode if necessary.( In case I am on the lake and have to)

2. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al

3. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    sounds like your smart gauge may be going bad

4. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't know if it applies here but my 9.9 Yamaha had the same problem. It ended up being the oil pressure sensor. The temp and oil sensor are wired together on some Yamaha units. Pulled the oil pressure wire and it ran fine. May want to try pulling the low oil or oil pressure sensor if they are (NO) normally open circuits. I got a shop manual and figured out the wiring.