Herculiner Bedliner

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dcaruthers, Jun 25, 2006.

1. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Am thinking of spraying Herculiner Bedliner on my fiberglass boat instead of replacing the carpet. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Works great! It will work great if you don't mind the heat, it seems to get hot to the touch and it is not as soft as carpet.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am going with the light grey instead of the black. Maybe that will cut down on the heat factor.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You don't have to spray it....the kit comes with brushes & rollers. If you take your time, follow the instructions, it'll look like it was sprayed. Spraying will just create more mess & waste material....roll it on, you'll be pleased.

I've done a few truck beds with it.

Smitty

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I actually have it inside and out side of my old duck boat and it is great, I have a como paint job on the linning but it has came off, I just spray more on but every one don't like that stuff, I have considered putting it on my fishing boat but haven't done it yet, because the carpet is so good.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the replies. I am ordering the stuff tomorrow. I'l post some before and after along with any lessons learned for others possibly in the same boat (no pun intended).

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you have a Menards close, they carry it. If not, check your local auto, farm, and home improvement centers, as it may save you shipping costs.

Last one I bought (the kit, includes a gallon of liner & the applicators), I believe was $80......additional quarts I believe are $30.

Smitty

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks a mil...was about to pay $129 from JC Whitbney's. I'll call around local tomorrow.

9. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol.....no problem......just send me the difference :big_smile: ..just kiddin'!

If you end-up doing it, please post afterwards as to how it went & how you like (or dislike) it. I (as well as others I'm sure) would be interested because I've never used it in a boat. When my (new) carpet is ready to be replaced, I may look to it as an option as well.

BTW, Here's their site.....(might help you locate a store locally)
    http://www.herculiner.com/

Smitty

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'll definately post pics and lessons learned. I figure if I don't like it, I can always carpet over it. Keep a look out for the results in a week or so.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

we put it in an old jeep we had to haul the dogs in, the guy that bought the jeep later said he had seen a couple in better shape for the same money but he wanted ours because he was going to use it for hunting and hauling the dead deer and hog and had never thought about spraying the whole inside with liner.

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks...i'm convinced. I'll post pics and give ya'll a lessons learned post.

13. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Herculiner did not adhere to my boat. Multiple hours of painstaking surface preparation and masking, followed by application of Herculiner. Easily peeled off in large strips and left a nasty surface behind for me to once again clean and prep. Ended up repainting the boat, and wasting valuable time, very disappointing experience I bought the grey color from JC Whitney.
    Like the old saying goes:
    Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rick- What material is your boat constructed of? Just curious....

Smitty

PS-lol.....and how much does that cat in your avatar weigh??

15. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a fibereglass boat and have spoken to 3 shops that do the spray-on liners. They said as long as you clean the surface and then rough it up with 60 grit sandpaper, there is noway for it not to stick. I'm not sure what your surface or surface prep was, but I hope I have beter results. I already have the materials and my boat half apart. I'll post the results.

Curious though: What is your boat made of and how long did it take for the Herculiner to start seperating or peeling?

16. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Smitty,
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Aluminum jon boat, primed and painted. Herculiner does not work on bare metal, must have an adhesion base. I specifically called the Herculiner technical support line for assistance prior to application. So prior to application, I sanded, primer, and re-painted areas of exposed base metal. After the Herculiner peeled off, guess what? I had to sand,prime, and paint again:angry:
    Flathead in pic was 35#.

17. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would have thought that the liner would adhere to metal if you preped the surface correctly, thanks for the insight. My boat is fiberglass. I bought the final supplies this week and should have the whole project done by Sunday. I have a few holes from old electronic equipment and old screw holes that I am going to fill in with fiberglass before I do the coating. Also, I am recovering my floor with fiberglass sheeting and smoothing out the seams with fiberglass. I have all the before pics, but I want to wait until finished before I submit a "How to article" for the BOC. My lessons learned list is already growing.

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    WE use this stuff all the time at work and have never had it come off of anything, from all types of metal to wood, plastic and fiberglass if it came off something was wrong.

19. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the posts guys. I put most of my fiberglass patches on last night and am about to finish filling th egaps and start on the sanding. It shouldn't be hard, I'm using a D/a with 80 grit.

20. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    David,
    I'm really interested in what you're doing. Please keep us posted and i look forward to seeing the pics. I have two boats, one fiberglass ranger and a 16' flatbottom. I just pulled the decking out of the old flatbottom, and am considering putting down 1/2" plywood floorign and covering it with the liner stuff. I also need to replace the carpet in my glass boat with something and I'm also considering using it in it.