Hens with Beards? - Take the poll

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by wpsatisfide, Apr 7, 2006.

What % of hens have beards

1. 1-3%

2. 4-9%%

3. 10-20%

4. 20-40%

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Just wanted to see who knows this as I read it in "women of the outdoors" magazine. Actually a pretty decent magazine when youve read all the others for that month.

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)

3. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    ill post answer on monday, hate to ruin the suspense lol

4. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I'll give my answer Monday then, lol. :0a10:

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I know I am being setup here :)

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now Paul you know there isn't a person on this board that would set you up.:craf-big:

7. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey,
    I am Greek and Serian. So if they are anything like women, I would say they all do.

Tight lines
    Danny J

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a trick question, but I shot one many years ago as a kid

9. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Well the article said 10-20%, but after reading different articles it looks more like 8-15% is more realistic. Course article was written by a woman. (j/k heh)

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I personally know of one wild bearded Hen that nested and hatched.I do not know of her success ratio.Some wild and tame Hens will fight a Jake or Tom and mount another Hen at times.I know of one tame Tom that would steal a nest from various kinds of birds and SET on the eggs.He was owned by a Mr.Royer and was quite the talk of the country folk around Pineora Ga.I have been in the back of a pick up truck,that had to stop to keep from running over a flock of turkeys that were taking dust baths all over a county maintained dirt road.After 10 minutes by a watch,my uncle stepped out of the truck and BOOM,all you could see was a dust cloud.I have been plowing in a Soybean field and had to repeatedly stop to keep from running over turkeys feeding on bugs and buds.This flock inspected and picked at my bright red shirt hanging in the fence by the gate.They pulled it out of the fence and on the ground where at least one craped on it.I stopped the tractor,stepped off and they were gone.Turkeys will TREE and watch a dog while you walk up and shoot one with a shot gun or 22 rifle.At the sound of a shot,they will fly off and tree again.You can repeat this again and again all day long.They watch the dog and ignore the man.The Turkeys just keep on ignoring you and watching the dog till the flock is destroyed or scattered.They never seem to learn.Turkeys are the dumbest so called smart bird that I know of.Man hunts them by playing like he is a turkey.When that Turkey is dumb enough or lusty enough to mistake a human for a Turkey,we kill it and brag about how smart they are.Old illegal Turkey hunters could,bragged about and did wipe out Whole Turkey flocks in a few weeks.I know as I fought with some of them while trying to reintroduce Wild Turkeys.I think that Turkeys are no more sporting or smarter than a Catfish.You can catch both in a trap or on a trot or limb line.It,s all up to you where there is any sportsmanship involved.I learned much of this as a child,from the rouges that wiped out the Turkey flocks of the south east.One of the best of them was a uncle.His outfit.Brown clothes and a 36 in.full choke 12 Gage single barrel,or 22 single shot rifle with shorts or BB caps,if he wanted quiet.They even used live pet birds trained to be staked out.I believe the reason that we now have Turkeys are that these old men are dead and gone.I think that Turkey hunting is like Bass fishing.Huge amounts of money are spent to brain wash the American male into believing that he must spend enormous sums to participate in this sport.As for the term.We call it brain washing when our enemy's do it to us.It,s call advertising when we do it.The purpose is the same.Turkey hunting or turkey killing.It is up to each of us,if it is to be a sport or not.Only we can make that decision each and every time and with each and every sport.peewee-williams

11. Icemanxxxv

Icemanxxxv New Member

State:
    Smithville Missouri
    Only dead ones if they cross my mossberg barrel in a couple of weeks

12. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    first turkey i ever killed was a bearded hen it had a 11" beard and weighed 16 lbs i have seen alot of them in my area this year

13. dbowers

dbowers New Member

State:
    Mantua, NJ
    Heres a link to a pic of a bearded hen I saw this year while hunting. This is the second bearded hen I have ever seen. Pretty cool IMO.

Bearded Hen