Henry County

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by sirdank, Mar 18, 2009.

1. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello I live in Geneseo along the canal. I moved here from Nebraska a few years

Ago and was wondering about some spots around here. I haven't been to lake

George or lake storey. Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head

I have a 16' jon boat but not enough hp for rivers. So I would appreciate any useful

Info or tips on some good spots around here.

Thanks.

2. bvanhoutte

bvanhoutte New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi Adam, I also live in Geneseo, though closer to Colona. A lot of the locks on the canal are good for channel cats. You can also fish the edges of the current that goes through the tubes under the bridges. People ice fishing this year in your area have caught some nice largemouth bass.

The Green River is good for catfish and smallmouth bass. You can park near a lot of the bridges and walk down and fish.

The Rock River is known as a very good catfish fishery. There are a lot of 40+ pound flathead catfish caught out of it. There is a boat ramp in Colona near Timbrook Ballpark, which is where the canal empties into the Rock River. A lot of people fish the lock where the canal empties into the Rock. The Green River empties into the Rock River about 100 yards downstream of where the canal empties.

A lot of people also fish at the Hampton Dam, on the Mississippi, and the Steel Dam, in Milan, on the Rock River.

I hope this helps and good luck fishing. Brad

3. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    you could also try the rock river its not to far from you alot of people bank fish it. and i would say if you have a 25hp on you jon then you should be good for the river

4. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Right now i just have a 6hp on my 16' monark. But im always looking for a new motor. I had a 10hp that I borrowed while the 6hp was getting worked on i loved it it's perfect on the canal.(evinrude)

Thanks for the tips.. by the would whats good for smallies on the green river?

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well never fished the green, but for smallies anywhere it is hard to beat tube jigs IMO. Welcome, and if the rock isn't flooded I think your rig would be just fine on it.

6. bvanhoutte

bvanhoutte New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I haven't fished it a lot for smallies. The last time I was using a med. action spinning outfit with a small crawfish style crankbait that had very small treble hooks. I caught about 8 small smallies and lost three heavy fish in about an hour. There was a big boil where one of them hit and I wondered if it might have been a large catfish that the small treble hooks couldn't hook properly.

My neighbor uses very heavy equipment and throws a heavy white two bladed buzz bait. He doesn't always catch fish but does manage to get some between three and five pounds. He told me he thought he may have released a smallmouth that would have been close to the state record, he did not have a scale with him and I don't know what the state record is.