Hennepin

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by scott1, May 2, 2007.

1. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anybody ever fish the hennipin canal locks? I used to fish there years ago and would occasionally pull a nice flat out. I am making a trip north this summer and was thinking of maybe spending a weekend on the canal, any info on the cats out there? Is it even worth my time any more. Thanks.

2. barry55

barry55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I am from spring valley. I know a few guys that fish the canal all summer for big flatheads, and they usually do rather well. Im not sure what lock they go to. I do know that bluegill is the bait to use. I think they like fishing by the tubes. We were going to try it last year, but didnt have the time. Good luck, Barry

3. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    its been awhile since ive been out there but my dad who lives in Davenport ia says thats its getting A LOT of fishing attention because of a few newspaper articles and the biggens are rapidly diminishing to his knowledge. i hope to try there this summer itd be a shame to loose a spot like that

4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that's why guys who don't practice catch and release of those big cats are only hurting the fishery and their own interests. It takes a long time to replace a 20 or 30# flathead. Not to mention losing those fish from the gene pool.

Shawn

5. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard that they have some real hogs in there, but have never had the experience of fishing it myself. I hear the only problem with the canal is that the only place you can really target them is at the locks, everything else is nondiscript. Don't know if that's true or not. Good luck scott1!