Hennepin Canal flatheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by xcat, Jun 2, 2008.

1. xcat

xcat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am wondering if anyone here has fished the Hennepin Canal much and what areas are worth targeting for the big Flatheads? The DNR has been NO help in this matter. I would appreciate any information and thanks in advance.[/b]

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    of course the dnr doesnt have any advice. thats not their job. ive never heard of the place, but if you give us a little info as to where it is, what it looks like, depth, structure, etc someone will be glad to help you. welcome to the boc!!!!
    also check out the library. you may just find your answer in there with a bit of searching and reading about flatheads.

3. xcat

xcat New Member

State:
    Illinois

Well the DNR fisheries bioligists are the ones keeping tabs on the local fish poplulations through electroshocking, netting and the like, they most certainly should be able to offer a little insight into what sections of the canal to target.
    The deal with the Hennepin canal is......well it's a canal and each section is basically a fishery unto itself. I just don't want to waste my time on a stretch of water that holds no good ones. Thanks for the reply

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    where is it located?

5. xcat

xcat New Member

State:
    Illinois
  6. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    the hennepin in milan and colona up in the quad cities has some big ones

7. tbirdbassr

tbirdbassr New Member

State:
    illinois
    I live 3 miles from it and if I'm going for flats or any cat in that matter I'm headed for the rock river no sense in fishing the canal you can catch a few but if you want nos or size head to the rock its loaded

8. xcat

xcat New Member

State:
    Illinois

Can the Rock be fished from shore successfully?

9. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    yes the rock is the way to go:big_smile:

10. xcat

xcat New Member

State:
    Illinois

I would love to try it, but I have no idea where to go. I really like to avoid crowds of people.......any suggestions? Thanks in advance