Hen Question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jdw123, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    I've been scouting for turkeys for the past couple of weeks. I've seen tracks it looks like from one turkey. and I keep seeing this one hen that is by herself everytime. is it normal for hens to travel by themselves? Also, I'll blow on my owl hooter in the late evening and I get no repsonse from gobblers. Is it possible that this hen is the only turkey in this part of the woods? I thought that turkeys traveled in groups, and where there are hens there is toms?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    She may have already started setting. The birds are still henned up here, bad. I would wager to say there is more than one bird there, or in the close proximity. By nature they are social. Toms will become more aggressive to calling when the hens go to nest, and quit running to them to get bred. I'll be waiting because there will soon come a day the hen will ignore him. We all know thats when a man is at his weakest, when the ladies go to cold shoulderin ya.:eek:oooh:

3. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    what do you mean by they are already setting or henned up? does that mean they have already layed there eggs? are the toms still active after the hens have layed eggs?

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My bad for not explaining clearer, the hens start breeding before season opens, the game & fish folks set season so the gobblers for the most part serviced the hens,,,prior to opening day. Henned-up is the state southern missouri is in right now. When the go to setting to incubate their eggs, the toms will anxiously come to a caller, because the hens won't pay attention to him,,,and he's not thru playin Romeo.

5. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    well, i went out hunting again this afternoon. i seen that same hen by herself again. i called and called and got no repsonse from any toms. never seen any turkeys even hens except for just that one. i never see any turkeys but her! i cant figure out why im not seeing other turkeys and toms.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    She apparently is the only one left, kill and eat her and you can concentrate on fishin.:smile2:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What? Thats just dumb even if you are just kidding. It's spoken like a true hillbilly.

If you are seeing that hen all the time. Then chance is that she is not sitting on her nest. A hen turkey will lay one egg every day during the breeding season. They will not get up and move a lot when they are sitting. Although from what I understand they only have to breed once with a Tom for all there eggs. After they laid there eggs they will start sitting on them. That way they all hatch at the same time. If you are seeing just that one hen and not hearing any toms you might just have one bird around them parts. Have you ever seen any other birds in the area ever before? If I was you I would go find new hunting grounds.

8. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    the reason i hunt this place is because it right behind my house. this is the first time i went turkey hunting down here. about 10 years ago i counted around 10 turkeys there, and i have only seen 2 hens together this season and keep seeing that one hen by herself. i'm not goin to kill her since she may be the only one out there, plus in my county that i live in, i can only shoot gobblers.

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think I would food plot and set up a trail cam through out the summer months and see if you cant get yourself set up better for next year. Here you cant hut turkey on baited spots, but you can get the turkey in the area and stop baiting before sesson opens, or hut a few hunderd yards from your plot. just a thought if your on private land I myself would try every thing I can to bring the game to me verses trying to find and fight for a public land spot.It might take you a year or two but you'll get them in there and when you do you might just make your self a great year round huting spot year after year.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just for the record, yes i was kidding. However i seriously doubt there is only just one bird there. I'll leave it at that to avoid sounding like a dumb hillbilly.

11. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    dont let him get to you john,he is just a cityboy. i know how you hunt , and im know for a fact you wouldnt do that.:cool2: