HEMLOCK LAKE

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT, Apr 26, 2009.

1. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m trying to find out if anybody has any information about a small lake in Indiana county called Hemlock Lake. It is near a small town called Glen Cambell, PA. The reason I,m asking is the Pittsburgh TRibune Review ran an article approximately 8 years ago about a possible state record channel catfish. The PA Fish comm. was draining a lake somewhere &they were trapping and relocating the fish in it. They reportedly moved a channel catfish to Hemlock Lake that was larger(by their estimation) than the current record. If anyone knows how to go through their archives, they can look the article up. I talked to a waterways conservation officer out at the sportsmans show that year and he,s the one that told me it,s right by Glen Cambell. I,m gonna finally get around to taking a ride up there this summer. It,s been bugging me knowing there might be a new record swimming around up there. Anyone around that way and wants to give it a try with me, let me know.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Yep, I've heard the rumor and for a few years after the dam was refilled; I fished hemlock rather heavy.

Hemlock HAD a supper dupper case of Too many smallish northern pike; which since I like northern pike and don't need them in trophy size. was nearly a dream come true.

any presentation that COULD catch a northern pike did!:smile2:

BUt somehow I suspected that So many of our waterways are like this. A few individual trophy catfish in a great big old lake. the bigger problem is that I think hemlock wasn't widely stocked with catfish; so you could SIT and sit and sit and sit on a bottom rig for whole days without a nibble.

So I'd only be willing to try hemlock for cats; If I learned I am wrong and there is a decent catfish population.

Any way, I'd be more excited about fishing for lunker cats (in the area); at Mahoming reservoir, Keystone reservoir (aka Plum creek reservoir), or the alleghany river.

I think each of those places has more Trophy catfish.

3. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    My sister lives about 3 miles from Hemlock Lake, I'll call and ask her husband about the channels in there. I was wondering if it would be worth a trip to go fishing sometime.

4. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    Well i hate to burst anyones bubble ...and i hate to sound negitive ... but me and my dad fish hemlock like it is our job ... or we did ... but as of late the AMISH have basically destroyed the lake ... there used to be lots of blue gill around the boat launches ....now nothing ... same with bass ... they keep everything the catch ... last year a guy pulled in a 26 inch channel .... that bout the biggest i have heard of for a while... the best i have seen around our aera is over at dayton ... upper mahonning ... we got a 33 incher two years ago ...

5. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    a decent lake in Indiana co is two lick res... not many people fish it thought... lots of kids party out there but very deep and very clear lake ... big cats though ... if you can find them in the deep

6. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I don't like talking bad about the amish since they are some really good people but they will keep anything they catch. I used to catch crappie in Reeds Dam all day long but haven't seen one for 10 years. I think the PFBC should really crack down on them.

7. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    lol i got the commish on speed dial ... three years ago they were using 4 50 gallon drums with ratchet straps with plywood as a boat ... at a party they had a hemlock lol they got busted for that and like twenty of them had no licenece, camping in a no camping park , and keeping undersized bass out of season ... i was told they got like major fines ... and banned from hemlock for two years