Helping out those in need.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catsmith1, Jun 16, 2006.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I had an interesting aternoon yesterday. I was out on the front porch trying to get to feeling better (been sick). A young hispanic man walked up to the porch and said in broken English that he was hungry and asked if I had anything for him to eat. I talked to him a few minutes and found out he had hopped the train in TX and got off when I stopped here. He had not eaten in two days and was looking for work. My kids made him two big turkey and cheddar sandwiches and a coke and some doritos. He cleaned them up in short order and said thank you and was throwing his own trash away to leave. I talked a few minutes more and told him to wait a few minutes. I changed clothes and loaded him up in the jeep and took off to the grocery store and was getting him some stuff to tide him over till he could find work and I noticed his hand was infected and swolen. He said he was working day labor in tx and fell off a roof into glass on the ground. Someone had stitched it up but it was swolen up and infected looking. I took him to the pharmacy in the store and the pharmacist got us some stuff for it.

I ended up dropping him off at a Hispanic Church in Bossier City. I hope someone could get him some medical attention but I could not afford to tke him myself.

In todays world of people hating the situation about illegals, it would hgave been easy to tell him to beat it and leave town. He is trying to make a living for his two children back home and I cannot fault him for that. I would do what ever t took to feed my kids. I have before, I'm not too proud to dig dittches and clean out sewer lines if it meant my kids eating or not.

I am not posting this to get rep points or get a warm fuzzy feeling in side. I am just trying to get you to think a little outside the box.

I think two hours and 25 bucks for groceries and medicine are well worth it. The bible says that if you do it for the least of these.......... I never read that you get to pick and choose who you help. You help those that show up!

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    To borrow a quote from Charles Schultz, "you're a good man, Charlie Brown". Thanks for helping out.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

what Pat said........

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Robert that is so true, when dealing with faceless people we (I) do tend to think too much about that. I know my attitude isnt that great towards alot of folk like that until I meet them then I either feel sorry for them (mainly how they are trying to make it), or I feel remorsfull because I was feeling mean to them in the beginning. I think Im saying this correctly.

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    You did a good thing! Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. "( or something like that.you know what I am trying to say )" I know we need a better border control System! But I couldn't turn him away either.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That makes you a hero and a good man!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That was a truly great thing you did.I just wish there were more people in the world like you!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ain;t it nice to be able to give something back to God?I know exactly why you did it and how you feel.I love you for it.peewee-williams

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    What they said.
    I sure cant sit back and watch a person suffer.
    If I can, I would help anyone in need who is trying. Its a hard world.
    Never know what roads one has traveled down and why until you walk in their shoes. I will give anyone a chance.

10. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I share much agreement with the previous replies. You did a kind and good thing for a fellow human being and I applaud you for that.

-You reap what you sow- so true, so true

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    GOD BLESS YOU ROBERT! Im proud to Know you. Bigcatman0816

12. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    after reading all the posts about being pi$$ed off with the illegal alien situation, (my own included), you have made me look at it a little different. i guess when it's a personal one on one situation we realize, "there but for the grace of God go i." Any of us would do anything for our familys. of course this guy was'nt burning our flag in your yard, either.
    you are a good man Robert, you make me proud to call you a BOC brother.
    the best always for you and your family.
    catwacker

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well said Catwacker.

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    When I was growing up once in a while I would ask to borrow some money. On every occasion the response was the same "what do you want that for?" After a lengthy discussion it was determined whether my loan request was valid enough to lend me the requested sum. I made up my mind right there and then I'd never do that to my kids. When they asked me for money I either had it or I didn't. I already knew it must be important to them or they would not have asked. It made my giving a lot easier too. The book I read doesn't tell me to set guide lines or qualifications to give. It says give, give to all that ask. I wish I could tell you that I've always done just that..but that would be a lie. Good on you Robert!
    Don

15. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    .....Verily I say unto you:Inasmuch as ye did it to one of the least of these my brethern,ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

You may think you don't need an atta-boy,or rep point's from us,but just remember that there is someone higher than you & I that seen what you did and is well-pleased.GOD BLESS!

16. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Surely your deed is worth several "rep" points from the big guy upstairs. I am sure that your deed will not go unnoticed. Good for you to take the time to care!!

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the liberal side of the world Robert. It feels good doesn't it? Just imagine how good you would feel multiplying that number by 11 million :big_smile: Many Reps to you sir!

18. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I second that, John.

Good for you, Robert. We need more people with your compassion in this world.:smile2:

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    lol I knew someone would say it. Only thing is, it's bout 300 mil. LOL
    Aint no one way on anything. Aint no ice cold or steaming hot, them make nuts, its the warm in between that counts. With discipline. :big_smile:

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

wrong again, Shawn. good samaritan conservatives do exactly as Robert did. i have done similar things myself. liberals intercept my check before it gets to me, take what they want out of it to spend my money on who they think it should be spent on.

no comparism to what Robert has done.