Helping a buddy.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bootshowl, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I tried muzzle loading in the sidelock era, not too impressed.
    So I waited till everyone was using the in lines before I jumped back in. I have a 209 ignition system on my gun, but was wondering on the No. 11 cap in lines; are the Pyrodex, and triple 7 pellets ok ? Lots of the older style guns floating around. Loose powder better? And is a 1 in 32" twist enough for shooting sabots or would a Maxiball be a better choice? Have a buddy who ask me to take him out, and he needs everything. All he has is 2 used in lines of the No. 11 ignition type. Hate to advise him wrong, so when in doubt, ask the experts. I know he would not be wasting money buying loose powder, but he wouldn't need to worry with a measure and funnel, etc, using pellets. I can, but don't miss spilling powder on my boot toes. If the no 11 is hot enough for pellets and the twist is cool for sabots, all he needs is a starter kit. Like to see him "hooked up" correctly without too much expence. He's an avid hunter, killer with a bow, but wants to go to black powder for the extra season here in Indiana.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The 1:32" twist should stabilize sabots okay. I'm less certain about the #11 caps and pellets. In any case, shortcuts around time at the range should be avoided...try stuff out, and see what works.

Depending on the manufacturer, 209 breech plugs may be available. Ignition issues aside, they're sure a lot easier to handle than those tiny #11 caps.

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have a Remington 700 in line. One of the first Remington came out with. It originally used # 11 caps but I converted to 209 primers w/ a kit. I shot the pellets w/ the #11 caps OK. I went to the 209 primer because they are easier to handle in wet conditions. I also reload and had about 3 cases of them. I shoot both pellets and 777 powder. It is just reloading like anything else You can fine tune the powder charge for more accuracy. I shoot 2 pellets out to 75 yds. I can go out to 100 yds with a lesser charge of powder. Loose powder is not much more trouble w/ sabots. I tried 3 pellets but I can't keep it on the paper at 100 yds.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    My first inline used 11 caps and the dig not have a breech plug. It used standard #11 caps and loose pyrodex. Shot sabots and maxiballs well. I sold it when I bought my encore. I do like the 209 primer ignition better and removable breech plugs for ease of cleaning.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The #11 caps are fine for loose powder, but don't give consistent ignition on pellets. I'd use the shotgun primers for sure with the pellets. I've got no problems with loose powder, it's just a little more time consuming on the range to load. If you've got speedloaders pre-measured for hunting, then it's about the same speed to load the loose powder for a reload as it is the pellets. The shotgun primers don't seem to be as effected by moisture as the #11 caps either.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks guys, I was thinking the pellets got popular, and came on the market after the 209 ignition came to be. I've I never met anyone with a No. 11 system inline or sidelock that hasn't had a failure to fire....with the 209, there's something wrong if she doesn't behave. Everyone I've ever talked too loves it, except for the traditional shooters who just have a romance going on with the Hawken's...LOL. Thanks.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary, I know how they feel. I'm in love with my Lyman Great Plains rifle and have taken alot of deer with it. I still love to hunt with it now, and would love to have one in a flintlock. But, when the weather looks like it's gonna be bad, or I haven't got a deer yet, I'll take the Omega out in a heartbeat!

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Randall have you tried changing bullet weights? I had same problem till I switched to .295 grain spitzers might work my old friend.