Helpful hints and tips!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a book that I got from my dad when I was a kid and I am sure he got it when he was a kid too, anyhow it was full of all sorts of fishing tips, I must have read that thing a 1000 times. Here are some that I can think of off the top of my head, if you have any please add them, maybe it can go into the Library or something like that.

1. Take a candle and "wax" the inside of the guides on the rod, apply the wax and then buff off with a cloth, this is supposed to help reduce friction and help prevent the line from "digging in."

2. Take an old spark plug and clean it up real good to get all of the grime and pollutants off of it, then take a snap swivel and put the swivel end of it on the electrode and crimp the electrode down, when you have a snag clip the snap to your line and let it go down the line and jiggle the rod to help free the snag, I think you could also make sinkers this way.

3. Put some fly paper on the front of you vehicle to collect grasshoppers and other bugs when they are in season, as you drive they will collect on the paper and you can take them off when you get to your fishing hole.

4. When done with your night crawlers and minnows for the day, put them in beet juice, this will toughen their hides.

5. Paint the inside of your minnow bucket white, so it is easier to see your bait, most of us probaly use coolers or 5 gallon buckets so this doesn't really apply.

I can't think of any more right now....

Aaron

TA2D

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    TA2Z Thanks alot for the tips! The one about the fly paper I especially can use Because I've just been sticking my head out the window with my mouth open to catch my hoppers.Tried to get the wife to help catch bait in that fashion but you know some women are sorta fickle.Bigcatman0816.:cool2:

3. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    those are great tips!

Another way of catching grashoppers is to get an old pair of nylon stockings and cut them lengthwise. Stretch them across the grill of your vehicle, and drive through a grasshopper infested field. Their legs get stuck in the nylon, then you just pick em off!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    John.Did you try to catch a Turkey flying across the road?Forgive me.I had to ask.Love ya man.peewee-williams

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am amazed by the knowledge of the people on this site.:worship: :worship: :0a31: I learn something new every time I come to this site.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I had read on some of the bait tank manufact. sites, to color the insides Dark blue because it reduces shadows on the bait tank wall, to reduce stress.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That makes sense, this book was from the early 60's i bet so some of the info may be outdated!

Aaron

TA2D

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds like that would make some great stink bait!

Aaron

TA2D

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Peewee, I didn't think of a turkey. I was more in line with a big locust or a June bug from the looks of things. LOL