HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by charbob4jesus, Sep 3, 2008.

1. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey guys, i got some stupid questions for ya. what is the correct way to river fish from the bank? Weight? Line? Rig? where are these fish gonna be? arent blues mostly river fish? thanks.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    hard to catch large ones from the bank here in the miss river if you have rock jetties on your river go to the end and fish with heavy tackle shad or skip jack and good luck

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Usually a standard carolina rig will work (check the BOC library for more info). The size of your weight and line will depend on how much current you're fishin' and what size fish you're after. Blues are a river fish (not all rivers), but plenty of lakes and reserviors have blues too. You could ask some members in your states forum about a specific body of water. Good luck fishin'.

4. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have caught 2 blues from the bank on the MS river in 4 trips there. We use a 3 way swivel at the end of our line with the main line, hook leader (about 6-8 inches long) and the weight from the downward pointing end of the 3-way swivel that has a lighter line so you can snap the weight off if...er...when it gets hung. As for weights it depends on the current we use 3-6 ozs from the bank. Oh was using a whole dead bream for bait.

Something I tried when I caught that blue was to use less weight and cast as far out into the current and let it pull the bait further out into the river (it will go down stream some as well but I guess that's obvious). I have yet to have a bait get "kicked" out of the channel the current flows through.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Fishing from the bank in almost any real current is going to be tough if the water is very deep. If you're gonna be stuck to the bank, try to find a tributary off the main river with less current or try and find a good lake to fish.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well Charlie I've been tackling that problem head on all year and will try to help. First thing you might want to ask yourself is what species and size of catfish your going for. If it is say small-avg. channels and blues I would say find a nice flat sand bar. Flat sandbars are very easy to access, very comfortable seating, no snags and abundant with eating size catfish. You can use all of the standard baits but you might want to use something you can really cast well like worms or fresh cut fish. Just ask a bait store close to the area your looking at for what there biting.

If you are wanting to catch Flatheads it definitely gets a little trickier. Flatheads like cover, meaning (submerged timber, rocks, man made structures) and lots of it. They prefer Eddies in current (places where the straightline current is disrupted causing large swirls in the water). These can be found on the down river side of anything large that protrudes out into the water and breaks the straightline current flow, such as- dikes, wing dams, boat ramps, revetment, log jams and drift piles.
    Flathead are ambush predators and prefer "Live Fish" although we have seen them take freshly dead fish. Flathead also are nocturnal by nature and feed heavily at night. I normally catch Bluegills at a pond by my house right before heading to the river, store them in a large bucket with an airerator affixed to it. I use heavy rod and reel with heavy line accompanied usually with a 3-way rig. Just search any search engine for 3-way Rig image. One thing you may not see though is a little modification to the 3-way rig, I learned here at the B.O.C forums. It's called a "sinker sacrificer". You see, when fishing around a rivers current and around structure it is common for your sinker to get "hung-up". Sometimes when you hook a fish even. So if your fishing around heavy cover using a 3-way use a lighter line tied to your sinker. I normally use a 3-6 inch 100 lb. Braid hook line and a 10-12 lb. 1 foot long line of mono tied to my sinker. This way if the weight gets snagged it will easily breakaway and you can keep the rest of your rig (this way not quite as many curse words have to be used). Remember fishing at night can be problematic especially around heavy structure so it's hard to be too prepared.

If your going for Trophy sized Blues. From what I've heard they they like really deep holes that are found along the main channel. Reaching them from the River bank is a nut I am still trying to crack. I have started by getting myself a 12 foot rod and a reel designed for long casts. I have just resently started to try to go for these bigg'uns and no luck yet, but I am hopeful. :wink:

Fishing a river, especially a large one will be a big challenge that requires allot of patience and determination, setbacks are to be expected but what I do is when I don't catch anything I at least try to learn something and add some experience to my arsenal. I wish you the best of luck and hope this helps!