help

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by tn_5568, Aug 23, 2008.

1. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have been doing pretty good on john redmond this year fishing where the neosho feeds the lake. tried to get up there today but the lake is way to low to get there. churned mud for about 2 hours before i gave up. i think i might have to start learning how to drift in deeper water. never tried it before. i know you have to go about 1/2 to 3/4 mph. but not really sure where to start drifting out in the middle of the lake. i don't think there is much for deep holes in that lake. right now it seems to be 6'-10' at the deepest! anyone have any pointers.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Your best bet right now is probably to drift the flats. You might also try the old river channel during the day. Just keep an eye on the depth finder and adjust your line accordingly. Look for baitfish.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

4. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I usually try to drift over underwater humps or the river channel. I am not familliar with this lake, but that has always worked for me.

5. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i could be wrong but it seems to me that there are no humps because it is all silted in. i have drifted it a couple of times with no luck. i think i was probably going to fast. instead of buying a drift sock would a couple of 5 gallon buckets work?

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    That whole lake is a flat. Like Dsage said about the spill way area is what I had heard also.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Then I say screw the lake, hit the river.:cool2::smile2: Much better fish to be had there I bet.

8. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    tim, out in front of the islands by the dam their is a little dip that goes from 7 down to 10 foot that is the river channel start their. i can't tell you to much their is a tournament their is two weeks and i have to protect some fish before the tournament but after the tournament i will let you know more. the past two weeks fishing has been hit or miss but i have caught some nice fish but not found a real good pattern yet.

9. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey troy, is it possible to get up closer to the channels from the lake. i couldn't get there but didn't know if there is a deeper route hiding somewhere. my boat isn't the best for that shallow of water it has a pretty long shaft

10. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    with the lake as low as it is i don't think so. this time of year you want to figure out how to drift anyway. use a bucket like you said and turn your boat sideways and leave your anchors at home and stick with it. drifting is one of my favorite ways to fish and once you figure some little tricks it is a fun way to fish. you want to go to the fish instead of the fish coming to you.

11. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i would love to meet up with you sometime out at redmond and learn some tricks. me and virgil are going to try it this weekend but i am not sure he drift fishes. good luck in the tournament