Help!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish_Calvin, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I have a 60 Mariner 2-stroke with the electronic oil injection. I am going to get rid of the oil injection and just mix my own gas. What is the Fuel to Oil Ratio on this motor? I cant find my owners manual.

Also, when i turn the key it takes a while to start but thats normal im sure. But i go to take off and it sputters and sometimes dies. Likes its not keeping its prime. But the bulb is still hard so i dont think thats it. To get it going i have to rev it up and then put it in gear and go. Once it starts going it runs great.After i run it for a while down the river and then put it in neutral it idles just fine. When i try to run at a real slow speed it dies also. What do you guys think it is? Just need to adjust the carb maybe? If you guys know anyone i could talk to about it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    From what you are describing it sounds like fouled carbs. When was the last time you changed the plugs and what kind did you put in it. Beofre doing a carb job I would replace all my fuel lines if they haven't been changed in awhile. If one of those is leaking a little or sucking air it will act like you described. Post the year and h/p and I'll post the latest type of plug you will need. The fuel mix will be at a 50:1 ratio. That is 16 ounces of TCW-3 oil to six gals of 87 octane or better fuel. Also after the plugs or before them I would do a good decarb and clean the inside of those cylinders out with some seafoam.

3. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Hey BubbaKat thanks alot for the reply. I took it to the local boatshop and had the guy change my plugs and fuel filter, and he also cleaned the carb. While he was at it i had him fix both my livewells. He only charged me 190 dollars so i thought that was pretty fair. Then when i got home i realized he changed my rear end grease and lubed everything up. I thought 190 was pretty fair for all of that!!!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep that was a very fair price.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a fair price to me

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Definitely a fair price... but you could have done the same thing for less than $50.00, and that's including the rebuild kit and gear oil. Get a manual... there is hardly anything to these general maintenance items.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Calvin what shop did you goto? I have always dealt with Daves in Madison and am thouroughly satisfied with them-I have even called them and they has explained how to fix the problem knowing it was gonna be no buis out of me that day....They are honest as I have ever found anywhere round here!

8. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I went to Kingston. Just north of Burlington along Highway 99 right before you get to Oakville.