HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by ARMYCATS, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    As much as i used to hate catching Gar when i was catfishing i have found a recent enjoyment in catching a big gar. my problem is i have a hard time hooking them. i use a steel leader and thy just pick up my bait and start swimming, wheni try to set the hook it pulls right out of their mouth. somebody please tell me there is an easier way

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like to modify old spinnerbaits by cutting off the hook and using a frayed nylon rope skirt. When a gar hits, the teeth become entangled in the rope and he can't get free. I have done the same trick with an old hula popper and it works quite well.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    just havent found a good way havent tryed to catch them

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i was catching them last year on circle hooks.i let them run for a bit and then raised the rod and reeled-the hook went right into the side of their mouth every time.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You might also want to try a bigger hook.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Often we'll use small treble hooks, then tie on a dropper about 6" back and then tie a stinger treble. Hook your bait normally with the first one and we usually let the stinger hang free. If the front one doens't stick, the stinger will often come through and hang on the opposite side of the fish's head and hold.

Also, if using a single hook and anything but tiny baits, you gotta let them suckers run with a baint for what seems like a minute, or as long as possible in accordance with surrounding structure. If there is a lot of hang-ups and you can't let the fish run long, use smaller bait so that they can get it down quicker, or a stinger/rope set up so that you can hook-up quicker without having to let them run and swallow the bait.

Hope this helps you in your quest!

7. sarg

sarg New Member

State:
    Texas
    I USE WHITE NYLON ROPE AND UNTREAD IT THEN LET IT FLOAT ON TOP OF THE WATER. THE GAR WILL TAKE THE ROPE AND ROLL WITH IT AND ENTANGLES IT SELF....... REKEASING THE GAR WELL THAT IS A DIFFERANT STORY.

WELCOME HOME BROTHER
    2ND BN 503RD INF 173 ABN
    NAM 63-64 & 67-68:big_smile:

8. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Use real small treble hooks, and they won't get away.

9. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the tips. Im gonna try the nylon rope method

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    what size gar are you targeting?

11. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I know an area on post that has gar ranging from about 3-7 ft. The ones that ive caught are fun and put up a fight so i figured i would try to actually target them for once but its harder than i thought it would be. so to answer your question.... the bigger the better

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ben Theres a link to the library ,Tinas Gar Lures its in gadgets an things you can make

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. i seen many folks talking about that last year and thats what i was gonna suggest. the rope thing that is.

14. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well Bud looks like we might have ourselves a new method to catch some of them big 6' plus gar we seen down there

15. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I've caught several big gar on crappie jigs fishing for crappie.

16. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My son loves catching those things. He uses a green nylon rope with no wieght and ties a small stinger trible hook on it. Site fishes for the gar places it in line with the fish and waits tell it takes the rope, and sets the hook. When the cats are not playing that is how he kills time. Thanks for your service take care and be safe.

17. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    as much as i hate gar i like to catch them i use a nylon stocking paint it hot pink and soak it in chicken liver juice then cast out and reel in caught a 30lb last yr doing this

18. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    a lot of times they'll grab it and carry if for a while and then stop to swallow it

19. urrdone

urrdone New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I havent tried it yet but am anxious as that this past summer the amount of gar in the river i fish has expanded. but i have read several articles that say the rope method is best. infisherman had a good article a few issues back that showed good pics of rope "lures." seems easy to do ill repost if works for me.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Gator gar don't take the rope lure well. I don't much care for the method. Gar get teeth tangled in the nylon rope and its difficult, if not impossible to get the lnylon threads out. That makes it hard for the gar to eat. You'd be just as well off shooting the things as they'll often starve to death. Gar are misunderstood, do little or no damage to catfish and other game fish, and are part of the natural process. I try to practice good catch and release and use regular hooks. With longnose gar, I've had good luck with Kahle hooks. It just takes more patience. Wait after the gar stops running and let him sit a while. If he starts moving again, set the hook.