Help!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by CNTRYBOY, Jul 31, 2007.

1. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I need some input here.

I have a 115 HP Mercury.

My problem is that you can ease the throttle forward, then with it all the way it onlys spurters along at a crawl. You may run that way for a little while, or you may run for a good length of time before she finally picks up and takes off! Once she decides to run, then she runs just fine. Until you shut her down again.

I started having this problem at the Degray Gathering. The following is a list of things i have done.

1. Ran all the gas out of her, put new gas in.
    2. Changed to a preminum gas
    3. Changed inline fuel filter between motor and tank.
    4. Changed spark plugs

At first i thought it was fouling plugs. But doing all the above still did not help it any. That is why i changed inline filters while i was at it, thinking that they might be dirty.

It acts like it is getting trash in the carberators or in the line. But the filter is still clean.

Seems like it blows the trash out and runs fine, then when you shut her down, everything settles and she sucks trash again when you start her up!

Was going to try to see if i can pull the tank and flush the tank and lines out. But, before i went tru this trouble, I wanted to see what my BOC Brothers comments/suggestins where!

If you can help, then shoot me some input!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry I can't be of any help 'cause I have the same motor, same problem. Mine's a '88. Soon as I get a couple extra nickels together, I'm going to haul it down to the local motor fixer-upper...

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My 99 90 acts that way when I first start it in the morning. I have always thought it was just cold blooded. Like it needs to warm up a little.

In fact thats the way I act in the morning. Olman if your mechanic finds the problem let me know, I can tell my doc and he can fix me. lol lol

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Newton, sounds as though it is a fuel problem. Lots of things can contribute to those conditions. I'm sure BubbaKat will be along shortly with his recommendations, but let me throw some things out...

1. You could have a piece of the fuel line in the carb bowl which blocks the fuel outlet. Fuel line is relatively cheap and probably should be replaced every few years anyhow. Probably less than $5.00 for enough line to redo your motor.

2. The diaphragm in your fuel pump could be slightly hard and not function as it should. Cost of rebuilding the fuel pump is about $20.00 if you do it yourself.

3. Your carbs can be dirty. Never, never hurts to rebuild your carbs.

Take the boat out and run it... when this same condition occurs, start squeezing the fuel bulb. If it picks up, it definetly is a fuel problem.

4. Listen to Bubbakat more than me...he is the pro. LOL

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    AwShucks - I tried that while running Sunday(squeezing the fuel bulb). She acted lke she wanted to pick up a little better, but she never did. Thanks for the input. Will try them , after i see what else Bubbakat tlls me.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Lawrence, that's what I like about ya brother! You are willing to admit that you don't know all. I learned a long time ago, those who act like they know all, are normally acting. Those who act like they might know, but aren't sure, generally know a lot more than they let on.

7. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    might check the needle that the float controls it maybe sticking or a pressure problem when you pump it up. when it boggs down get someone to pumpthe ball and keep it hard. thanks sam d.

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Country boy I'm not sure on the problem..but i do know that outboard motor manufatuers say not to use premium gas cause of the additives and the damage they can cause to the motor.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Like big sam said, quit useing that high octane fuel that engine doesn't need all that extra heat it creates.

Country boy did you try choking it while it was trying to throttle up.
    Take the fuel pick up line out of the tank and see if that little strainer is partially stopped up. Also if you have an onboard permenant tank look and see if it has a check valve located right where it comes out of the tank. If it has take it off and heave it as far as you can send it.
    Lawerence you got a good grip on that situation. After you check those lines and try the choke get back to me. You can put it on muffs and take a timming light and hook it to each plug one at a time while its running and see if you have a plug dropping out. It is starving for fuel on the high speed circuity but if you have the patients we can find the problem.

It ain't fixing one thats hard its trying to figure out what needs fixing that is hard.

11. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Thanks bubbakat! As far as the High Octane fuel goes- I only used it once to see if it made a difference, then went back to regular. gas is High enough, without paying that extra! Will check all that you told me to when i get in from work tommorrow if i have time!