Help!

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by Robert4361, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Robert4361

Robert4361 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've recently started running trot lines in the mississippi river here in louisiana. Well I set my line out and baited it on thursday morn, ran it thursday evening. then when i returned fri. morning, someone had ran and re-baited my lines. I there a way i can deter this from happening. It's frustrating to do all the work and have someone else reaping the benefits. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Only way i can see to detour this from happening, would be to catch them in the act! It is sorry that someone would do such a thing. But, it does happen, and there is not much you can do except to catch them in the act.

3. Robert4361

Robert4361 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks cntryboy, I'm taking your advice, so hopefully i can run up on them while they are there. If not, I guess i will have to try and move and hide them better. We'll see how the weekend goes.

4. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    At least they rebaited for you. lol:sad2:

5. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    DO YOU MARK YOUR LINE'S ?(STATE LAW) IF NOT YOU MAY TRY USING A BLACK LEADER LINE TO HELP HIDE IT

6. Robert4361

Robert4361 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We don't have to mark lines here. Maybe I will try the black leader. Guess the white is a little inviting

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You might check the area closely to see if there is another line close to yours. It's not unusual for some scum bag to run someone elses line but it's a little strange for them to take the time to re-bait it. Sounds like an honest mistake by someone running a line they mistook for one of theirs. Just a thought.

8. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Trotline Restrictions

1. All trotlines must be marked, tagged, and dated with the owner or user's name, address, phone number, and the date of placement. The trotline must be marked on each end with a floating object that is readily visible.
    2. No person shall set more than three trotlines with a maximum of fifty hooks per trotline.
    3. All trotlines must be removed from Lake D'Arbonne when not in use.
    4. All trotlines must have an eight foot cotton leader on each end of the trotline to insure that if the trotline is left unattended, the cotton leader will deteriorate and the line will sink.
    5. All trotlines must be attended daily while in service.

That is from the LA Wildlife and Fisheries site. Don't know how strictly it is enforced. I know from fishing Toledo Bend that very few folks tag their lines. Not sure that it would help in your case to have it tagged though. Only thing is, if you get an Enforcement Agent involved, you might want to be sure the line is legal.

Will

9. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Those rules are for Lake D'Arbonne ONLY!!!! That is not state regs on public waters in Louisiana. The way they have the new site up is kinda confusing. It's a whole lot better than what it used to be though!!!

10. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Somehow when I searched that the first time, the only mention of D'Arbonne I saw was about removing the lines. Glad to know that though, as I hate having to tag lines. We got the new LA 2007 booklet, and I can't figure out if I need salt water license to catch blue crabs or not. Guess I'll just get it again to play it safe.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't mind having to tag my lines, but having to mark them on each end with a floating object is just asking for trouble...kind of like having to leave your keys in the car all the time, even when it's parked. I have always tried to tie my lines as far underwater as I can reach. Where the line had to be attached to anchors, rather than stumps or trees, I'd often have it so deep that I'd have to use a gaff or weighted treble hook to get hold of the line to pull it to the surface.