Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rainman4u2, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Ok guys, I need some help here. I recently purchased a Penn Jigmaster 500 really cheap(now I know why... :cursing: ). It doesn't have a level wind which is now big deal at this point and time. My question's are how do I get the Salt water gunk off of the reel? Any suggestions on how to properly grease the reel?? And, if none of this works, who wants the darn thing :D :D ??? LMAO!!!!

Ray

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ray,
    soak it in warm / almost hot water for a while and then add a bit of dishsoap. Use a toothbrush and give it a good scrub. That should do it. Then rinse again in hot water and blow off with compressed air. Next remove the sideplate and slide out the spool. If there is salt residue inside repeat the soak / scrub process. If you are good at taking things apart AND putting them back together again you can strip it right down and clean every part the same way. If not stop at the spool stage. Thoroughly dry it all out and put some light oil in the bearings, bushes and gears. If you think you have over lubed it just blow out the excess. When you put it back together make sure the spool is centered. When I used to fish in the salt back in England this is the way I did it at the end of the season. Hope this helps...W

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Bro send it to me and I will clean and service the reel for you. If you want to sale it I will buy it site unseen.

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Gator, I sent you a PM, did you get it??? I'd love for you to service it, so at least I can try it out.

Ray

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    how did i guess. i was gonna say that gator has mentioned hands down that the jigmaster 500 is one of the best penn reels monwy can buy. i was gonna offer to help ya out but he beat me to it. :p

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Well, I haven't heard back from Gator, so anyone want to take a crack at this????

Ray

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ray. Didn't you see the thread where the Gator miester said he was gonna be undercover for a week or so? Seriously,he should be returnin shortly.

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Nope, I guess I missed that one Big George.

Ray

9. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Check your messages.