Help!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    there is a creek behind my house, and there is a small dam that makes it about 6 feet deep and 20-40 feet wide, its about 30 feet at the dam. i have put catfish in it before, and the where very lively when i caught them, and it seemed like they liked it, but everytime the creek flooded i found them way down stream? does anyone know of any ways to try and keep them on my side of the dam? and btw there are some catfish native to this creek

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is probably like the thing of trying to keep your house cat in your yard. Just not gonna happen. However, you may invest in a 24" roll of chicken wire and some posts. Just stretch you a fence across the top of the dam. You will need to be conscious of this fence and after ever rain that sends the water over the dam, you will need to clean out your fence. Otherwise, the weight of the water will take your fence downstream with the cats. LOL

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    You might look into some sort of spillway that will keep alot of your fish in but like the fence requires maintainence.

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You won't be able to stop mother nature and that dam. Everytime the water comes up something will be going over!

I use to stock pile a local creek with bait in a nice deep calm pool that was made from a beaver dam ..so whenever I needed bait it would always be right there where I needed it.....then obviously it rained one day and that was all it took to ruin that plan. Probably isn't much you can do. Just keep adding fish to it I guess.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Kevin, before doing anything with the dam. You might want to check and find out who the owner of the dam is. He might not be to appreciative of you adding fencing to the dam.
    Will

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u need to check with ur state game and fish dept before u do anything.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    my next door neighbor is the owner of the dam, i checked w/ him before i started considering ideas. he said it was fine as long as i made sure it worked and wouldnt harm anyone or anything. but thanks alot for the concern :smile2:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Keven.I am 61.I been messing with fish ponds streams and stocking holes and ponds all of my life.As a general rule when it rains.Little fish go upstream and bigger fish go down stream.Also,if the water runs around the pond dam,little fish of all kinds can swim up into it.If they are not staying and growing in it,then something is wrong.Hot water in the summer.Food supply.Water quality.Good habitat and you will have fish.Remember that all life has to be able to survive the worst minute of it's habitat or it won;t survive.Tiny fish will migrate upstream in 1/4 inch of water.After a hard rain I have found them in dynamited stump holes over 100 yards from the nearest ditch or stream.These fish were tiny and I grew some of them to 7 inches in a aquarium before release.They were Bluegill,Fly Bream,Bass and Bullheads.Good luck and I hope you succeed.If you don;t it is most likely a natural reason or you would already have fish.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee