Help...

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by master_cat, Aug 9, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    iv been fishing near the cordell hull dam on the cumberland river i havent caught one catfish only drum any tips would be helpfull

2. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know the water at all. Describe the water and I'll try to give my 2-cents worth. You fishing tailwaters near turbines with current, heavy generation, low generation? Downstream... slower current, how deep? Or are you fishing reservoir with low flow or no flow? Water depth, main channel, humps...
    Or better yet, maybe somebody who already knows the water will login and help. But describe your circumstances and I'll be glad to try and apply some "general principals" if you want.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

please give us a little more info so we could try to help. Any locals care to field this question?

4. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    2 miles down from dam 15 to 80 foot of water there are spots round 10 good current

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

IF it was me I would be fishing the upside of the pockets close to the running water but still in slack water if possible. Thats for bank fishing though. Are I would be fishing the deeper holes with access to slack water. Are there any big rocks are stucture that break current that you can cast towards? If so try casting a pole in front of and behind the breaks the catfish will use this slack water to stage up in beofre and after feeding. Just my opinions I am sure there are better one's out there.

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Hey mastercat, did you ever learn anything more about Cordell Hull? I had the same problem as you catchin the drum down there the other day. I was up pretty close to the damn too. The cumberland's supposed to have some cat's in it right? Just a bad stretch of river?

7. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to catch a lot of drum in the Tenn river until I quit using livers and worms. I now fish with shad guts and skipjack and havent caught a drum since. Hope that helps.

8. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks for the reply. Actually I was trolling plugs for sauger today and caught a sheephead, must've been 7-8 lbs. Also caught one on a large shad. Seems they'll hit about anything. Only tried cats about 20 minutes without much luck today. At least the sheephead didn't take an interest in the skipjack head i was using.