HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by pr1mo5, Oct 3, 2009.

1. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    This might be a long shot but ill try it does anyone have an extractor drill bit or know how to get out a half broken bolt???
    I went fishing at the upper salt thought i was pushing my car then tonight i went fishing and broke my motor mount bolt doesn anyone have any experence or know a way to help???:embarassed:

2. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Call me bro!

3. force61

force61 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Did you get any help yet with it? If not I should have everything you need at my work to get it out. I've never done an engine mount bolt before but an extractor is an extractor and a bolt is a bolt.

4. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    wow, good one Primo. :sad2:

5. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I just went through that with my boat motor. When changing out the water pump 2 of the bolts in the lower unit broke off. I had to work all day getting them out. A friend of mine had to help me by welding a nut on one of the broken bolts and then slowly working it out. It worked but we had to weld it several times before we got finally got one to hold solid enough to get the bolt out. You might even try using a real small drill bit to drill several holes in the broken bolt Be careful not to get into the outer threads and put some oil in it. That helps too to loosen up. We tried all of this before the worse one came out. the main thing is not to give up on it.
    Oh, I tried to use an easy out bolt remover that I bought from the Auto parts store first. But it broke off in the second bolt and made things worse. That is when the real work began.

6. force61

force61 New Member

State:
    Arizona

A lot of times if you break an easy out off like that your best bet is to get a smaller center punch if you have one and beat the hell out of it. Those easy outs are so increadably hard that they are also brittle and you can get it to break apart in the bolt. Thats why as I'm sure you found out they are damn near impossible to drill back into.

7. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    i just looked at it,out of 3 bolts that hold this mount on,one has broken the boss the hole was drilled into,2nd hole good and the broken off bolt is about 1/2 inch below the surface! Gonna try a left-handed drill bit in the morning,but i fear that the wrong bolt was put in and bottomed out:sad2:.Luckily it isnt part of the cylinder head that will need to replaced,just an aluminum timing cover!

8. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Just went to auto zone they said it is the timing cover I can only get a new one at a junk yard or from gm.....:sad2: So if brian and I cant get that out in the morning and put 2 bolts in instead of all 3 then ill wing it if not looks like ill go hunting!!!

9. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    I think the two bolts will be kinda iffy on that,you definetly need to try and locate one for a corrext fix! If we can get two,it will get you buy a while,long as you arent dumpin the clutch and that kinda thing!:big_smile:

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    In a desperate situation, and as a quick temporary fix, you can probably get away with 2 bolts if you also put some Permatex gasket maker on it. It will help hold like silicone(which it is) and will help prevent against leaks.

11. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    On the road again!!!!:cool2:

12. MOOSEMAN1955

MOOSEMAN1955 Well-Known Member

State:
    SOUTH DAKOTA
    If want to buy you self a extractor set craftsman make a great set. To far away from you to let you use my set. Good luck bro

13. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Brian came and fixed it for me just have to take it easy until i can find another saturn with a good timing belt cover...:wink:

14. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    you can get some cobalt drill bits and pos. drill it out. our find ya some left handed bits. if ya drill it out i would def. re tap it in case u mess the threads up. tap and die sets are pretty easy to find. as is the rest.

15. flathead-40

flathead-40 New Member

State:
    arizona
    NAPA sells a reverse drill bit and they work sweet. As they drill in reverse it also backs the bolt out. Make sure you center bunch the bolt first.

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    3 bolts are over kill :big_smile: 2 will be just fine :wink: it should be no problem finding a timing chain cover forit if you cann't fix it find a mexican salvage yard it will be half price:big_smile: if you need help finding one pm me with last 9 of vin year and model:big_smile: