Help!!!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by johnliester, May 7, 2009.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I know it's not a 4x4 but my 84 Mazda B2000. When you shut off the switch nothing happens. It just keeps on running. If you pull the coil wire it will die, but then all the dash warning lights come on. I tried replacing the switch but it still does it. I have resorted to pulling the fuse under the hood to shut it down. My thinking is there's a relay that's stuck, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone on here have any ideas? My Bronco II just doesn't haul enough fishing gear so I need to get this truck running right. Thanks a million gang, John.

2. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Find a schematic in a Chiltons or Haynes and run down your "kill" signal wire. Check that out with a multimeter, if it's good try the relay if there is one, if it's still bad let me know...I'll see what I can dig up as far as causes.

3. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    did you change the eletric part of the switch or the key part? had a mazda in the shop that the ing. swith was shorted and had the same problem.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you turn the key off and it stays running till you kill it manually then the warning lights come on. the ignition key part is probally bad or a linkage may have come loose because the warning lights wont come on if the ignition is off.

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    im not sure if that one has it or not but look in your underhood fuse box and see if there is marked ignition main, that could be stuck on, or it could be the electrical part of the ign switch as previously mentioned, try tapping on the relay if it has one, if it shuts down replace it

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    the ignition switch is what i would check if it has one usually the key and tumbler(switch) where you would put the key in wouldnt be the problem , possibly located along the steering colume near the firewall at least thats where they are on my fords had one that did the same thing and thats what it was

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lmao. The ignition switch is your problem. It's directly behind and attached to the ignition lock cylinder..I just looked up a wiring diagram and the ignition switch feeds power to the coil. If it's hot with the ignition off the SWITCH is bad.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009