HELP!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by cantstopgrandma, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Ok, i'm kinda at wits end here. I have a million squirrels in my yard and they are causing problems. Just found a 1/4" hole in the battery of my wife's car the other week, and acid was everywhere. Corrosion was 1/2" thick on the aluminum transmission housing. There were teeth marks around the hole, so i know the squirrels did it. We have some kind of oak in the front yard, and the little critters make a mess all over our vehicles getting to the acorns (not to mention dropping them on top of my truck, i'm surprised I dont have dents everywhere).

I knew it would come to this and started using a Hav-a-Hart trap during the summer. I had limited success with it, and lost interest, until recently with the battery issue. I live in town, and have lots of neighbors, so my pellet gun isn't really of any use here. Someone at work said to use peanut butter on rat traps, but the traps got tripped and all the peanut butter is gone.

What say ye, oh trapping gurus? I know squirrels probably aren't everybody's main target, but gimme some ideas, please.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I would use the Hav-a-hart traps with peanut butter in a jar lid ... get a tub of some kind that the trap will fit down in and fill it with water ... when you get a squirrel in the trap, drop it down into the tub ... until there are no longer any air bubbles coming up .... dump it and catch another one ... I have found that by moving it to different location after you cat each squirrel you will catch more of them .... Garry-

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    But, A long time ago, I had tree Rats, and mouse traps were too small, and rat traps were not being tripped ,,, similar to your problem,, ,I took one leg off the bail spring, and "Got 'm All"
    The rat traps look like a Large mouse trap....

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah
    What Garry said.
    Check with your local rent a center and maybe get 3 or 4 traps.
    My parents had a squirrel make nests under the hood of their camper.
    Chew ed up the wiring. Kinda expensive little critters.
    They can't swim very well in a live trap.

Have a good one
    just

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I used to catch em with steel leghold traps. Connibear traps should be effective in the right set. They oughta killem so ya don't have neighbors watchin em jump around. An ear of corn in a stove pipe should do it, but gotta have some corn outside. Regular steel traps they can naw their leg off. If you can see em where they run around, thats a good place to start. Good luck, a friend had em chew the wires on his car and his back up lights were on all the time, cost him an expensive ticket when the cops stopped him to let him know.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I first learned how destructive these critters can be when i was a kid. Bunch of the family always went camping together every summer. When my grandparents got to the campsite, they realized they had a hole in line on the propane tank, and all the propane was gone. This is the whole reason i started trapping them in the first place. I knew with as many as i have i would have problems sooner or later. Getting rid of them is not a problem once they're caught, its the catching i'm having problems with.

Plainsman hit the nail on the head with the fact that i dont want the neighbors to watch them flopping around. I have pretty good neighbors, and nobody said anything about the havahart trap, except the woman across the street. She kept asking me if i've caught any more, and kinda laughed every time she asked. I also dont want anybody's dogs or cats getting caught, cause the humane society idiots here would have a field day with me. I'm trying to keep this trapping operation on the "down low". Keep the ideas coming.

7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    OK folks heres the scoop with me. I have caught over 400, I was counting them all the time, I quit counting at 400, not to many now days, but one or two here or there. I'm not kidding you OVER 400 of them. I live on the edge of town. I caught them all in a HAVAHART trap,, The same trap. I have also caught a few racoons, and possums. I DO THEM a FAVOR and take them for a ride a few miles into the country. Yes I have caught cats. Let them go. The COPS wanted to charge me with KAT NAPPING one day when the neighboor saw her cat in the cage. Anamial shelter said I had the right to catch what ever went into the cage, as house pets were not allowed to run wild. I keep the trap on a pice of plywood attached to the top of a 6 foot chain link fence. Next time I catch one I will post a picture. I used to use peanuts, peanutbutter and acorns, but when its hot I catch them all on water alone, all the other critters go for the water alone also. It took almost 3 years, but I go some times an entire month before a new one movers into the area. Every spring when they have their babys, I usually catch them right away, before they get smart.

8. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    Sounds like you got pretty good at catching them varments. I am suprised that nobody sent you a recipe for them. Here, we cook them several different ways. Hope you didn't just waste them, but I woulda put a good dent in my grocery bill with them city tree rats.:smile2:

9. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I know a lot of people hunt them, and I have heard they are good to eat, but I never tried them, I have eaten Pheasants, Ducks and Rabbits, but just never got around to squirrels.

10. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Here is the set up. Next post of a picture will be with one in the cage, IF there is any left. Saw one yesterday, just wanted to get out of the rain, wasn't hungry or thirsty, he walked over the cage, and went his way. They often do this, BUT they DO come back and go IN when they need water.

Attached Files:

11. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Up in the open like that put a ear of corn in it, It will bring them in.:crazy:Good luck

12. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I also put some bird seed around the cage, when the birds come to eat, it acts as a confidence decoy for the squirrels. They want to get in on the Fiesta.

13. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    We had squrrels wegot cats squrrels on the run. Rdeally they do a pretty good job they like to eat them. Thanks Sam Davis

14. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    take a cambel soup top and then take some pipe glue and spread on top and then put some dried corn on it ,then place the top on top of the pan as this will give you a larger area for the squirrel to step and make sure the pan tension is set light.it will catch every squirrel around.

just make sure it's legal were you are at.

15. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Well folks, just like I said I would here is a few pics of the one I caught today. He now has a new home. Something like 401 and counting. I lost track how many, but I know Over 400.

Attached Files: