Help! wood bending question

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by riverratokie, Sep 27, 2008.

1. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    I am attempting to build a guitar neck. i need to bend a piece of oak 5/8 thick about 12 degrees. Any ideas?

2. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Probably need to build you a steam box. Run a search on google or check many of the woodworking sites and forums. Hope this helps. You could laminate it also by using thin slices and a form. glued and clamped in the form, once dry it will be the same shape as the form with the bend you want.

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    to start with you will need something like a tub to soak your wood in, let it soak a good while checking it regulary, it would be best if you had a jig or template, when you start the bending do it slow.

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    If I were doing this I would go along with what Little Mac said. You will get much better results with laminating.

5. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Check out the DIY sight. Look for ADI-707

6. TruckerFisher

TruckerFisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Why would anyone want to build a guitar neck out of Oak? No tone at all and virtually impossible to work with. assuming you get it Bent? (which really puzzles me as to why you would want it bent) you will break about a dozen router blades trying to cut the Truss rod groove! I am a licensed Luthier and have built lots of Guitars, acoustic and electric and believe me you can buy a good neck a lot cheaper than you can build one especially one that isn't going to work very good when you get finished with it! E-mail me at: stringedthings@windstream.net I'll hook you up with several suppliers where you can purchase necks. TF