Help with Wilson and/or Wheeler Dams.

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by shadguts, Jul 17, 2008.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually go to Pickwick to catch my bait, but a freind went a couple weeks ago and struck out. I am out of bait and thought I'd try my luck at Pickwick first,as it is the closest place to me, and if no luck there may drive down and try my luck at Wilson or Wheeler. I have not fished either before. Is it legal and safe to fish directly below the dams? Is one better than the other for skipjack? Anyone know if the fish are there?

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    there were no skips running at wheeler at wheeler yesterday

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thank you. I didn't know but thought that if they weren't running at one they wouldn't be at the others. I'll try at Pickwick Saturday and let you know. The skips stayed around a little longer last year.

4. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I talked to a friend of mine today and he said he caught all the skips he needed below wheeler dam...Hopes this helps...

5. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There are areas below Wilson dam that are marked as dangerous. If you go into the area near the lock discharge and the siren goes off get out of there. It goes from calm water to whitewater very quick. Also the water below the dam is very swift. Under no circumstances should you drop an anchor tied to the side of the boat. I haven't fished there in years, but there used to be a lot of cats pulled out of there. I saw Bill Dance catch a boatload of smallmouths out of the cut between the river and the canal.

6. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Hey shadguts I don't know if you made it down but we hit wheeler dam tailwaters yesterday and wore the skipjack out...:wink:

7. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went to Wheeler on Monday fished 3 and a half hours or so and never got a bite. Never even saw a skipjack hit the top. I did get to get a $26 fishing permit and hit part of the concrete wall that is just under the surface of the water where the flood gates and power house meet. Tried at Pickwick that morning also and couldn't find them there either. I did see a couple older gentlemen at wheeler that probably had 200lbs of blues in a couple of 100qt coolers. You could tell they had fun. The largest fish I saw was maybe 3lbs but plenty of them. They where fishing with noodles baited with chicken livers. Wheeler is a nice place and I sure wouldn't mind trying a little catfishing there. The discharge water there is a little different than at Pickwick I guess because it is so much more shallow.

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    the skips have been running strange at wheeler ,iam thinking of going today .

9. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    What time of day is the best time to catch them below either dam? Is morning or afternoon better?

10. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    both can be good...I try in the morning and if I don't do no good I'll try the evening....

11. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    At Wheeler, the last 2 hours of daylight seem to be the most productive.