Help with trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by superman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    the brand name escapes me for moment but it is a 72 pound thrust foot controlled trolling motor the guy i bought the boat from bent the shaft and when he put it back to gether it has only one speed slow this is the first foot controlled trolling motor i have ever owned and don't know anything about fixing them is this a prob that can be fixed or should i just buy a new one i aslo checked all the wires and they all looked right to me but i may be wrong

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think you should be able to put the shaft into a vice and straighten it. There is no rods running through the tube to the propellor hub, just wires. So, have at it, take your time and work on it slowly. Don't rush. It should come close to factory straight.

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    oops sorry i forgot to say that the shaft is straight now

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    He probably didn't get the wires/relays back in the right place. Dollars to doughnuts it is going to be a human element which caused the problem. See if you can get the schematics for the motor and go into it checking the wiring.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    A 72 is larger than most I've seen. Gonna pull some amps. Freshwater guys use a 30 to 50 most times. See for fun if the foot controller is fused. Be hard to protect both ends of amp curve if the unit is multispeed without having dual fuses. See if the high amp fuse blew when the shaft got bent. Your smaller units are just fused, by u at the supply, but if I was building a high end unit with a separate controller, I would have done that. And recommended fusing the supply too. Don't know, just an old fart scatching his whiskers. Good luck.
    :roll_eyes:

6. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i would check the wireing if he took it apart to look at it i bet he unplugged something
    :smile2:

7. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what about checking the speed control on it he mayhave it on low speed.

8. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Is it 24v? If so check your battery conections and make sure that there is 24v getting to the motor.

9. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think Last Chance is on to something..

A 72 lb 12 volt unit would be different than I am used to being around..
    Check to see if maybe she would like 24 or even 36 volts better. Should be a tag on the head stock with model /serial info or get to the manufactures web page .. with that info and do some reading
    Most have all sorts of info avl to the consumers.. op guides and wiring diagrams in particular.