Help with Toyota

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by kkyyoottee, Oct 4, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know its un american but I have a chance to buy a 87 toy 4x4 for 200 bucks!!! The motor is shot but my question is will any 4 banger toy motor work ? Thanks for help!!

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Buy a Chevy!!!!!!!!!! lol no clue really if the 4 will work from any.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'm no mechanic by any stretch of my imagination, but.... With the right amount of "engineering" any 4 banger should work. Maybe give Advance Adapters a call or look here: http://www.advanceadapters.com/

They have a lot of adapters for a lot of non-stock applications. Big with the 4x4 community. I would imagine with the right adapter to make the transmission bolt to the block would work....maybe an input shaft adapter also?

Anyway, check them or any company like them out, they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    It has to be a 22RE engine to work with all the computer stuff.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    it could have the 20 or 22re engine. basically the same engine. they're easy to rebuild, and lord forgive me for saying so. they're dependable..

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would say its a 22r being the 4wd. I would stick with that myself. I would call around the junk yards for prices. I also would open up that tranny before anything else. That $200 truck might end up costing $2,200 or better before it goes fishing.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    speaking of it being a 4x4 you might want to look at the (ball sockets) where the axle shaft u-joints normally are. they have a wierd ball socket that wears out and it'll need a whole diff. housing to fix it. look under it. you'll see what i mean..

8. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I had an 86. Good truck. Check the frame out real good.

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It has a 22re and it appears to be a blown head gasket. :eek:oooh:

10. redticrunner

redticrunner New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Will, From 88 model down, they have carbuerator, and should work on yours as long as its a 22R. After 88, they started with the electronic fuel injection thats where the 22 rE comes into play. $200 is a great price, if it has a good body, and a good transmission and running gear, I would jump on the opportunity to get it. If its anything like around here, a Toyota 4x4 with a good running gear, transmission and transfercase has been running anywhere from est. $600-$1000 depending on condition of the body. We got our sons 93 model that had good running gear and body, but needed a motor for $800 earlier this year. You probably saw it at Pickwick (red truck with mud on it). They are very dependable and sturdy as long as they are taken care of the right way. In a 4wd, I wont own nothing but a Toyota. Hope this helps you with your truck.

11. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    My 86 was 22RE, fuel injected. Also blew a head gasket. That was real common for that engine. Have the aluminum head checked. It didn't take much heat to warp or crack.

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'd get it, have the head checked and put it back together. They are good engines, last forever if taken care of right and won't let you down. If I was you, it would already be setting in the driveway.

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Them engines did have head gasket failure problems. Also if it has water in the oil it may need a timing chain cover. The chains get slack in them and wear thru the aluminum cover and cause coolant to enter the crankcase.

14. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No water in the oil... it does have gas in the oil. It does sound like he got it pretty hot because their is water from the radiator down the side of it.

15. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    Save yourself some trouble and just pull the engine if you're going to do a head gasket! It will save alot of cussing. Just mark all the vac. lines and wires with labels and paint marker. Change your timeing chain over to a double row it will have metal guides instead of the plastic ones that break alot. You would need a 20r oil pump gear if it doesn't come with everthing.
    Check out couple of Toyota specialty shops. Avoid dealer
    WWW.doa racing engines
    WWW.LCengenering
    WWW.enginebuilder
    May want to search alot of info on 22r and 22re engines
    Theres a hidden bolt at the front of the head under the cam its usully hidden by the oil left sitting there and you won't see it!!
    SS

16. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We finally caught up with the kid who is selling the truck. The substance down the side of the truck was not from the radiator. He said the radiator is empty because the hose has a hole in it. He started it up for us, and other than the battery needing a good charge it fired right off. No ticks, taps or clinks in the motor. It does sound like it isn't running on all 4 at times, but when he gave it some gas it didn't sound rough at all. Thanks for the advice. He is going to deliver the truck to us on Sunday, and our mechanic is going to check it out and go from there.