Help with the transom

Discussion in 'Boating' started by justwannano, Jun 25, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    The plywood on my jon boats transom needs to be replaced.Its getting pretty bad.
    I've clamped a 1" X 6" oak board to it for the remainder of this year but next winter it really needs to be replaced.
    Anyone with any experience replacing a transom?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    just

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I replaced the wooden portion of my boats transom year before last. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. First I removed the parts which were removable, then I drilled out the rivets that held the aluminum frame to the boat. The wood, fortunately, came out in a piece that I could still get a pattern out of. The transom was appx 1 1/4" thick. I used three pieces of 1/2" plywood. Cut them according to the pattern, and liberally glued them together with a waterproof glue. After they had dried, I sanded them down fairly decent, but not quite as good as you would do if making furniture. They came out to be about 1/16th of an inch too thick, but extra sanding around the edge removed the thickness. Coated them with spar varnish trying to give the wood a weatherproof coating. Reassembled the transom using 1 1/2" stainless steel bolts, flat washers, lock washers and self locking nuts. Once the transom was back together, I cut the extra bolts off. The only thing wrong is the spar varnish has checked...didn't think it would do that. I also just used exterior grade plywood as I had no idea where in Oklahoma to get marine plywood. Now that I have finished the project, I must say it didn't matter. The exterior grade plywood will last a few more years and it is so easy to do - I'll just replace it when necessary. LOL

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its the pine or fir plywood that checks.
    Epoxy wont even keep those 2 from checking but epoxy and some 6.oz glass cloth will.

You could put 50 coats of any coating you wanted to and it will still check.

4. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i also redid mine i just drilled out the rivits and took all the rotted wood out. then i measured and measured and measured and did i mention measured to make sure it was purfect. then cut that peice in half so it would fit.
    \i used all marene grade plywood and stainless steel bolts w/ rubber gaskets and lots of silicone.then take it to the lake/river/pond and water check her. take a sharpie and mark bolts that are leaking.:cool2: