help with the great miami

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by scooter079, Apr 18, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ok for the past couple of days i have been trying to find some whole in the great miami for blue or shovels but i still have found nothing. Now i know that noone ever gives up there secret spots but if anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it.

2. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    and oh yeah i also have no boat so its gotta be places i can bank fish thanks.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im sur ewherever you were fishing, there are some nice fish, problem is, is that everywhere there is access to the river, it just gets pounded by the local beer drinking crowds and they tend to keep a lot of there nicer fish caught.
    I do know this much should help you, flatheads in the spring will be in shallow areas just below riffles, near wood.
    All blues are below the dam in Hamilton, none above there and actually, only a few from the mouth up to the dam area. I think the blues need much more deeper water then the GMR has to offer.
    Flatheads certainly like live bait when available but will also take cut shad, dead carp, gills, suckers etc
    Flatheads in all stretches between the mouth up to Middletown area
    Im in Dayton, if you post where you are located at, maybe someone could help you, I struggle keeping my few spots as tight lipped as possible....:wink:

Salmonid

4. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    In the summer I fish the GMR often. I have a kayak and a bass boat now so I'll do more fishing from it.. However, the dams are decent for channels and carp. I've caught a few nice Shovels out in front of Miami Hamilton at the "new dam." An interesting tactic from an old guy who used to be out there almost every day... use a heavy bass rod with 20lb test line.. get a whole bunch of white jig heads (3/8-1/2oz), and a bunch of 4" plastic curly tails... all you do is cast into the dam and drag it out (yes you'll get snagged frequently, but often you can jerk it loose).. you'd be amazed how many shovels that guy caught! Another decent place to catch Shovels is the high bank at Rentschler's' Forest county park(where by pass 4 dead ends into rt 4)... or by the ranger house, there's a lower bank where you can fish.

Hope this helps...

5. jigghead1

jigghead1 New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA

I know two good spots. Go to the dam, and go down and fish on the gravel. Cast right into the dam, I used shad or bluegills. If the water is up, for get it. The other spot is at the boat dock at night. Boats stop runing around, I used to go about 10:00pm, and most time it be alot other people there too. Use shad,bluegill(cut,or alive)and sometimes you might get off with chicken liver if its tide right, I use tie twistie to keep it on strong. I hope that helps, I just moved about 5 month ago to North Carolina, so now my spot is your spot now. :wink:

6. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    really the best way to find spots is to hike a section of the river and mark the deepest holes, more cover the better, and then make a good attempt to fish all of them, you will have yourself plenty of good holes before long. good luck and do your homework..