help with the flatheads

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jamesriverman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    Ok i have no boat and i have bin going to a cannel right by the james and i have bon trying to get a flathead for a wile and i have gone fishing 3 times with no sines and today i went for blues and on cut bait on the bottom for bowfin my brother got a 35lb flathead what is the deal.

2. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Went to watkins landing the other night and caught a few small ones at the bridge. Can tell you from past experience you will catch them on cut bait but live bait on the bottom will do better,around structure is best. Night time is better and as temperature cools you can start catching some in the day. Fall tends to be a real good time. Not having a boat limits you but you have one spot that will produce. I'm newer to this area and trying to find some decent flathead fishing myself but not alot of talk about them in this area. Good luck.

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Patience, try live and cut natural bait from the water your fishing. The bite should pick up, try fishing night much as possible.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where are you fishing exactly in Richmond, what canal? South bank, north bank. I just got word of some serious holes on the south bank around 14th street. I've gone fishing 30x2 a 35lb flathead in the james is a super score.
    good luck.

5. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    Well my big probe id that i can not cast to any good looking holes and kanawa cannel so should i just cast and hope for the best of luck.

help with the spots

If you are looking for big flats then go to pony pasture go below the z dam rocks and above the mane rocks just sit on the rocks above the flat water and from 50 yards out on both sides right in the middle and it is vary deep from '10 to 30' even '50 feet deep.

6. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just caught a 12# flattie the other night at dutch gap...(we do have a boat), but where I casted was right there where the channel slopes down. I guess I was maybe half way down the edge of the channel. It wasnt a 30+pounder, but it was a flattie.:big_smile: I caught him on a shad that was about 4 inches long.