help with the catfish in the lower snake river

Discussion in 'LOCAL WASHINGTON TALK' started by fishalot, Apr 9, 2009.

1. fishalot

fishalot New Member

State:
    Washington
    Hi, I found catfish1 today and it looks like there are some people from washington here. I am from washington and have fish my hole life and have wanted to try fishing for cat fish but I lived on the west side for 28 year and there is not much for cat fish there. I just moved to eastern washington to a town called Pomroy to work at the dam. whell this is my chance to do some catfishing. I need some starting points -bait where to find them and so on any help would be great thank you..

2. kadd

kadd New Member

State:
    Washington
    Hey fishalot, i normally try to make as much trips down to the eastside to fish as mush as possible and when i do i normally fish areas near lower goose dam. baits used are sucker meat and crickets.

3. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Hey Fishalot, If you're in Pomeroy try heading out to central ferry and fishing under the bridge at deadman slough. It's real rocky there and what I've found works best is just running worms or meat under a slip float. There's some good smallmouth in that area too.

4. Pittman

Pittman New Member

State:
    Washington/Idaho
    There are some Grain silos in clarkston, if you've got a boat , fishing around the area's where the barges are loaded with grain is great, There are some monsters down there, also if you want some real monsters get your self an idaho license and head out to dworshak, there's been some huge ones pulled out of there.

5. BigLon9

BigLon9 New Member

State:
    Kennewick, Wa
    The lower snake/columbia/yakima river has been slow as of late. River levels are high do to the warm weather, When the levels return to norm the cat fishing should be very good. I've picked up 3 channel cats in the last 1.5 weeks, biggest being 17lbs. Normally with the water levels normal at this time of year we catch between 10-20 a day/night using cut bait. I will post again when the river finally starts producing on a regular basis.

6. EasternWAcatfan

EasternWAcatfan New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have been doing alot of fishing on the lower snake by Hood park and the bite has been really slow. All we have managed to catch is some bullhead and a smallmouth.

Any ideas on the depth of the fish this time of year? Would i be better off fishing the shallower backwaters?

7. BigLon9

BigLon9 New Member

State:
    Kennewick, Wa
    Fished saturday below Ice Harbor dam, caught 13 channel cats biggest being 14 lbs. The bite is picking up finally, also killed 3 rattle snakes. Bait used was fresh shad, sucker meat. The fresh shad seemed to be the ticket.

8. EasternWAcatfan

State:
    Washington
    Hey Lonnie nice to see someone else from the tri-cities, i was curious to how much weight you had to use to keep your bait down in the current. I fished above the dam on wendsday and sunday and saw that the spillgates were open.

9. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    throw some chicken liver with a 3 oz weight and a 5/0-6/0 octopus hook and fish it to about 10 to 20 ft and fish it on the bottom if you can find the edge of some weed beds that would be a good place to start or fish the edge of some rif raf near a road or the damn if you can get that close, the pylons of the bridges are a good bet too good cover and usually runs farely deep near the center between two pylons or the downstream side of the pylons. but so far i have fared really well on chicken liver and its pretty cheap like a 1.25 at the wal-marts here.

10. BigLon9

BigLon9 New Member

State:
    Kennewick, Wa
    We fished the rif raf below the dam, 8 out of 10 spill ways were open, We used 6-8 oz. tear drops. I normally use chicken livers but haven't been able to catch anything with it this year. Which is kinda wierd its usually my go to bait for cats. Anyway if you fish below the dam watch out for the rattlers in the rocks, I seen atleast 10, and got the 3 i stepped on.

11. EasternWAcatfan

State:
    Washington
    I have ben fishing from the bank around hood park. Haven't caught a single catfish although the river looks like it is back at normal levels so the fishing should pick up, i hope at least.