Help with side imaging/Sonar fish I.D.

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Ol Swampy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    If anyone has any experience with side imaging or has any input on I.D.ing fish let me know what I'm looking at. I know that some of these are asians and am getting the hang of telling them from non scaled fish. I think! Some of these are cats on the bottom. I guess my question is what differences are you seeing for sonar colors from scaled fish to non-scaled fish.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jon

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    bought a color locator about a month ago. studied some on them. catfish show up yellow as they don't prduce as strong a signal as a scaled fish. which show up more red/blue. i am still learning but i do find yellow fish close to the bottom and we are catching some. hope this helps. i'm sure there are people on here that know a lot more than i.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Did you buy a Lowrance or a Humminbird? On the Lowrance, yellow shows the densest or hardest surfaces which probably aren't catfish. In the holes that I fish, most of the suspended fish show up as yellows(carp & other fish), while fish I find near the bottom will show blue and black(catfish).

Here's one of the best sites you'll find on operating a Lowrance.

http://www.hightechfishing.com/colorline.html

4. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Jon, a quick interpretation shoot’n from the hip on the 2d side is asians over woody structure holding small baitfish…. My 947c has been temporarily decommissioned after 3 years but the 2d side is for the most part identical. The asians are holding mid depth in their cold water pattern along side baitfish in the plankton zone up against the rock drop off. I would lower the sensitivity setting a bit for clarity sake on the river. It’s a fine piece of equipment so play with your setting for different applications. The side imaging part I cannot help ya with. Your fish ID will pick up the catfish, when you see fish holding to bottom but scattered very good chance their cats. When a few scattered fish are suspended then chances are their cats. After a while you'll know. River blues will school in small groups with the school scattered in that they don't hold tight together as a group in open water.

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I cant rep ya Mike, need to spread alittle , But that was some need to know info.........thanks

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats good stuff Guys. Eric Simcox, (Deerhunter01) put together a real nice article on the size imaging sonar, along with several still shots. I'm not quite sure where he posted it, but its certainly appropriate here. I think it would help out alot.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You should find it in the library..