Help with shallow water anchor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Team Hold EM Hook, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    I seen a post (I thought on here) about using like a 10' piece of pvc as a spike to jam down in the bottom to anchor your boat in shallow water anyone know of it

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What type boat do you have, Joe, and how deep is the water you are wanting to anchor in? The pvc pipe works pretty well in soft bottoms, tied off to the boat in some fashion. For my 17' center console, I also use cajun anchors (google cajun anchor) (homemade from 3/4" x 6' stainless rod) in salt water up to 6' deep with soft or sandy bottoms.

3. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    What I am looking to do is, I am going to make some brackets(2) one on the front right and one on the rear left. These brackets will stick over the edge of the boat and have a hole big enough for the pvc to go through. I am looking to anchor in 3 to 6 foot of water. Seems this would make the moving around from spot to spot much easier. Oh yea, I am in a 19' carolina skiff. Pulling anchors all day and night gets old quick

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
  5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not sure about that system. I remember the post and there was some concern about being able to move in an emergency.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    When duck hunting in shallow water we usually just jam a wood pole into the mud then go around the pole and back to a cleat with the bow line. This way the boat can move up and down with wakes or the tide and doesn't pull up the pole. This method works really well.

7. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Never tried pvc but a 12' wooden closet rod works well.--shu

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I know they are pricey, but if you are serious about using it all the time & worried about pulling up in a hurry, you might want to look at the powerpoles. That's what the saltwater guys use & they are cool, all power right on the console, makes anchoring in shallow water a breeze!!