Help with Rod and reel ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bowjo, May 27, 2009.

1. Bowjo

Bowjo New Member

State:
    ohio
    I want to try fishing for river flatheads this year.I need to get a couple of rod and reel combos and don't know what I need.I will be fishing for monster flatheads in rocky river conditions.I believe I want baitcasters that will handle 50# line.How expensive is it gonna be to get a couple outfits that will work.What rod and reel combos do you reccomend.Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.Thank you...Joe

2. pitbull1078

pitbull1078 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    for a cheap baitcasting reel i really love my shakespere tidewater from walmart. It can handle the line. I had 80 pound braid on mine and it worked great. The rod Im not so sure about..lol...bass pro has some awesome rods for around $30 that can handle alot. My buddy has a 12 and 15 foot that he uses on the river. Held up great for snaggin. He has never brought a monster flathead but some monster asians

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Welcome to the BOC Joe!! I would go with an ABU Garcia 6500 or 7000 series reel. This reels are in the neighborhood of $75 to $135 depending on where you're shopping. For rods, I would recommend an Ugly Stick or there's many choices to choose from. Defienently check out Catfish Connection to check on rods and reels that meet your criteria!!

Oh Yeah! Braided line is more abrasion resistent for the conditions you might be dealing with. Also you can pack more line on the spool, because of the smaller diameter of the line. Just remember to add mono backing, before spooling on the braid to keep it from slipping.

Hope this helps you.

4. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    sounds like your fishing a spot similir to one of my favorite places i personally like a shakespear tidewater reel spooled with atleast 65lb power pro with a berkley glow stick rod in atleast the 7ft model this setup after you buy everything rod reel and line will probably run ya about 100$ maybe less depends on your local walmart price on the tidewater

this was my best overall setup and i have landed cats over 50lbs with it no problem before hope this helps and good luck

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    LISEN TO ABOVE, ALL GOOD, , I LIKE THE 6500 RO ROKET , AND A PENN GTO, BIDWATER UGLYSIC, OR A TEN FOOT BERKLY GLOWSIC, 60 POWER PRO, OR 30 MONO, BIG GAME, OR CAJUN, OR SUFFIX,LINE DRAG , NOT TO TIGHT, I LIKE IT SO I CAN PULL IT OUT WITHOUT ALOT OF FORCE BUT KINDA TIGHT

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A lot depends on how much you want to spend. I'm branching out and trying something new to me. After reading a lot of posts on BOC, I decided to go with the Catfish Safari Flathead rod and the Abu 7000ICS reel. Received my rod today and reel is in transit so I haven't had a chance to try out the combo, but many of the fellas on here are happy with either/or both. Good luck out there.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Joe!It depends on how deep your pockets are.You already got some great info.I too would go Tidewater 30 if on a budget or an ABU 7000 if not.I,d try and get a reel that has the strenght & line capacity you,ll need and a Heavy rod if goin for flats only.I like the Ugly Stik 7ft boat rods in heavy action.:big_smile:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Larry.That sounds like a really good setup,they,re both up to the task.:big_smile:

9. Bowjo

Bowjo New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks everyone this is the info I was looking for.I allready have way too many hobbies,so I am trying to budget myself a llittle. If I find myself doing more I will upgrade.......Joe