Help with removing jet unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Seth, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I sucked up some junk in my jet the other day while fishing and the motor started dribbling water out of the "pee hole" instead of shooting it out. So now I have it back home and want to take off the jet unit to check and see if the water pump is clogged or whatever, but I can't get the unit off.

I removed the four big bolts like they said to do in this pictures.
    [​IMG]

and I when I try to pull it off, the front part comes down, but the back part doesn't. It acts like something is holding it on in the rear, but I don't see any other bolts.

Is it normally that hard or what? I'm just afraid that if I try to force it too hard, I might break something. :sad2:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Put it back together.

Open the thermostat, and remove it. Leave the cover off and run the engine.

If you get a good flow of water through the opened thermostat housing, put it back together. If not, then you have a water pump problem.

If you've got a good flow, through the t-stat housing, and have put it back together, you can now run a wire up the pee-hole discharge or use compressed air to clear it.

Actually, clearing the pee-hole would be the first thing to try, but you seem to like taking things apart.:smile2:

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well it didn't take long to take it this far apart. I was curious to see how hard it would be anyways and wanted to check the impeller also.

I took the housing off of the thermostat and there was a little bit of gravel in it so there probably is a good chance something got stuck in the hose like you said.

The water pump is only a few months old so hopefully it's just got something stuck in the hose.

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Looks like an outboard jets unit to me. If so there is five bolts all together. The fifth one that you are missing is on the outside near the nozzle.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    That makes sense since the nozzle part is what wasn't wanting to come off. I looked over the area, but couldn't find any other bolts. Next time I will look closer.

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    It may also be a stud with a nut on top depending upon the model.

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Here is a pic of a unit that I took off of a 40 horse evinrude. You can see the stud back by the nozzle in the pic.

Attached Files:

• jet.jpg
      jet.jpg
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views:
  8. wayner

wayner New Member

State:
    Utah
    On my Mercury 90/65 jet your problem happens to me all the time. All I do is ream out the pee hole with a wire. It is almost impossible to clog the impeller.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm gettin ready to go run a wire up the pee hole and hope that's all it is. If the weather holds off long enough, I'll go put it in the lake and run her around a spin. :wink:

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    There was some little wood chips stuck in the pee hole. I'm pretty sure that's the problem, but I am gonna go put it in the water and be certain though.

I also found that other bolt you were talking about. There is a little cover you had to pop off to access it.