Help with pontoon trailer please

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Flatheadhunter33, May 9, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Last time I put my pontoon in the water, two of my guides (not sure if thats what they are called) started floating off the trailer...luckily my son caught them before they floated off. After pulling the trailer out of the water I saw that the screws that held them in were missing...I guess they vibrated out on the way to the river...anyhow, after closer inspection, I noticed that the holes in the wood where the screw were is now too big for securing with new screws...is there a wood filler that I can use? I was thinking of just getting a water proof adhesive and glueing them to the trailer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Just get a bolt with washers big enough to cover the hole. Make sure it's Stainless steel. Another option is to get new boards, re-carpet them, and install.

3. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was thinking that I could put some new boards on it as well...I was just wondering if there was an easier fix since I would have to have the pontoon off the trailer at the time...I gonng do that eventually. Just dont really have the time now. Maybe once the spawn starts:smile2:...

As for getting a bigger bolt...length wise I cant go any bigger because they will go through and the pontoons will get damaged on them...circumfrence-wise...I can do that. Do I need to treat the would with something to stop it from rotting? Thanks.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Put some wood glue in the hole and stick as many toothpicks in as you can. Break them off even with surface. Not 100% but will get you by.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Man, that trick has saved my butt more times than i care to count. :smile2:

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Can you move the boards forward or backwards about 3 inches or so? This would give you "fresh" wood to put the screws or bolts back through.

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    This is gonna sound pretty bad but....i never even thought of doing that:beat_brick:!! I guess I got wrapped up in complicating things:roll_eyes:. I guess that would be an easy and quick fix while I have the boat in the water. Thanks everyone for your input!