Help with Pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tdfishhard, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tdfishhard

tdfishhard New Member

State:
    Charleroi, PA
    What are my options for a trolling motor for a 20ft pontoon. The boat has a 50hp 4stroke big foot on it and it is the fishing model. Could somebody post pics if you have them

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    There are probably as many options for a trolling motor on a pontoon as there are on any other boat. You can hang it off the stern or the bow. You can buy one that fits on your boat motor. Most (but not all) pontoon boats sit high enough in the water that you will probably need a long shaft on any trolling motor you attach to the deck area.

Consider it carefully before you even put a trolling motor on your boat. Do you absolutely need one? Most of the ones that I have seen are mounted to the deck just inside the front gate (just like the bow mount on a bass boat)so they swing through the gate and then allow the gate to be closed.

This reply is pretty general because you did not give the model of your boat so I did not do any research to look at the layout. I also have a 20 ft. "fishing model" pontoon (G3) and opted not to put a trolling motor on it even though it is wired for one. I only fish for catfish and bait so most of my boat time is spent running, drifting or anchored.

3. tdfishhard

tdfishhard New Member

State:
    Charleroi, PA
    The boat is a Starcraft Starfish 200 and I would like a bow mount