Help with pond with very grassy bottom!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by baptistpreach, Aug 1, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have a pond I fish that has grass and weeds very thick, virtually everywhere. There are also some nice cats in it too! I fished the bottom, and I have had cats take my bait and start to run, but when I set the hook, I miss them! I get it in and the hook is covered in grass! The hook point is covered! How can I get keep my hook exposed and get the hooksets? Thanks and have a great day!

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    have you tried a bobber keeping your bait just above the grass line?

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I agree, try a small bobber that will keep your bait just above the grass line.

Ken

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i would buy a few grass carp to eat the grass out and then you could fish however you wanted!:big_smile:

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i agree, place a small bobber between your weight and your hook, the bobber should be small enough that your weight easily sinks it, but it will hold your bait up off the bottom

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i can attest to this. use the little styrophome crappie floats. make sure your hook is about 2 feet higher than your weight and your bait will be suspended off the bottom and out of the weeds. this also helps to keep your bait outta the mud.:cool2:

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    other option that i use alot in my dad's stock tanks is to get into swimming trunks and clear out a spot to fish in the grass. Or if water is deep enuff close to the bank, i just throw the cast net about 10 times in one spot or close to it and that will pull all the grass outta that spot

8. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    besides a bobber you can also try using a sponge hook(a treble hook with yellow sponge sold at walmart). I use them with sonny's and the float off the bottom to get above the weeds in the lake I fish at regularly. Just lenghten your leader to get the height you need off the bottom. Maybe that will help.

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Great advice guys i agree 100% with all replys

10. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    just buy a couple grass carp but make sure they are sterile because you dont want them taking over.

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    What is the easiest way to figure out depth of grass? I guess it is around 7ft deep where I am fishing, but you cannot put a boat in there, so a depthfinder is out of the question. I like the idea of suspending the bait, I'm just not sure how deep to suspend it!