Help with picking gear

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigkittyhunter, Mar 13, 2007.

1. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    Im planning on getting new gear for this season, does any one have any suggestions, I mostly bank fish, I mainly fish for channels and flats in rivers and lakes. so far im looking at ugly stick and cat maxx with matching reel (not sure on the reels) any help would be great. right now ive just been using fenwick hmxs with quantum reels.

2. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have never owned either rod you mentioned but I have used Ugly Stick's several times. I personally did not like them as they seemed very mushy. I once drift trolled for channels below the dam on Lake Oahe in SD and held an Ugly Stick in one hand and a Cabela's King Kat in the other. It was very remarkable the difference in the two. We were using bottom bouncers and I could feel every rock and pebble with the KK and very little with the Ugly. The KK was even a heavier action. I have 2 King Kats in 7'6"H and 8'MH. I like them both. I also have a Fenwick Graphite 7' MH that I just got. It seems great though I have not gotten it wet yet. If money is not an issue look at St. Croix's musky line, I have used those as well and they take the cake. I just can't afford them is all. For reels I use Abu baitcasters. I have 3 different ones and like them all. Stick with the 5000 and 6000 series if you want the tried and true yet still affordable type. I run Power Pro line on everything, 50#, 65#, and 80#. Then I use a leader more suited to whatever I am fishing for at the time. Good luck, it is always a blast to buy new stuff!

3. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    For reels I'd say either a 6500c3 or 7000c3 in abu garcia or a 310 or 320 GT2 in Penn, for rod I'd go with a TIGER Ugly Stick--Medium is 20-50 lb. test and MH is rated at 30-60 lb. test--the Medium would be great especially for channels and almost any large cat that you may catch in the river, the MH would also be great for channels but doen't have quite the sensitivity as the Medium + it would be as stout if not a little stouter than the Medium rod. For me the abu garcia's would be my choice for bank fishing unless you have had some experience in casting a Penn which isn't that much harder it takes a little more practice, the Penns would be great especially for a boat--I've heard they have a little better drag system than the abu's but they are both great reels. I have both reels and like the 7000c3's better for casting do to the ease, but I'm still learning myself on the 320 GT2'S and I think it will take some more practice to get the distance on these reels as I do on the abu's.
    Also if you look on EBAY you can get good reels on there for sometimes 20.00 or more cheaper with shipping than at the store.

4. bigkittyhunter

State:
    illinois
    What about roddy by penn 175?

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Roddy's aren't even made by Penn, just marketed by them. I can't believe Penn actually puts thier name on them with the quality they're used to putting out in thier regular line of reels. I'm still partial to the Ambasdadeurs, but I like the GTI series of Penns.

I''d stay away from the Roddy if you want one you can use more than one season.

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got one last year off ebay for almost nothing. I think it is an all right reel. I have not caught anything over 20lbs on it yet but it has done ok on everything so far. I have not opened it up to see what kind of gears it has but for the price I like it.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i had a roddy 175. made in china. not near the quality you would expect from penn. you can get an abu 6000 on ebay for about 30 including shipping if ya try a bit. i traded my roddy for a delta tool box for my truck. the frame was cast metal. just wasnt what i expected and ide bet they will last 1/4 the years of an ambassadeur of wich i have 7 at the moment. one is a 1950's and works like a new one.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get a Abu 6000 or 6500.

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    If bank fishing I would use a spinning reel--more distance with less effort.

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    A buddy get you a couple of Ugly stik big waters and a couple aof 7000's and you'll be ready to go.

11. bigkittyhunter

State:
    illinois
    whats an aof 7000?

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can get much more distance with a baitcaster, but them again, I've always been "bass akwards".

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im guessing he meant abu 7000, next step up from the 6500.

I have a couple 7' ugly sticks with abu 6500's. I also like my bobber fishing, a good 8,9 or 10' rod with a baitcaster and you can target different depths and even drift somewhat with them when using a big cigar type bobber.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    depends on what you got and what you got to spend?

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Brian, I mostly use my 6000 with a slip float rig.

16. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    ugly stick tiger 7 foot MH with a abu garcia 7000c3 will cover little fish to giants!Ive caught everything from mudpuppys to large flatheads on them.

17. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you should be good to go with abu garcia 6500c3 with a ugly stick tiger medium or mh action

18. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would get a couple 7000c3 reels and the rods depend on the distance you need to cast. If you need max distance, find a couple 12' rods with enough lure weight rating to handle the weight and bait you plan to cast and good luck.