Help with Penn 209m

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by IrishO'Brady, Oct 7, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Hey guys, just curious- how long does the grease/oil in a penn 209m from factory stay good? Reason Im asking is my last trip I caught two cats in the 40's, and afterwards it would not drop my weight. At first I figured the braid on the reel had cinched itself down due (which its known to do after a few big fish), so when I got home I took all the line off the spool then reeled it all back in nice and smooth... and it still wouldn't drop it. Ugh. I use 209's regularly for reef fishing and such and have never had this difficulty. Also this is the same weight (4 oz) Ive been using forever, usually no problems. This is a new reel, only used it on 3-4 trips(freshwater only).
    I just hate to think its practically new and I already have to oil and grease it. Maybe I got a lemon?

Thanks-
    Chris

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I normaly clean and oil mine once a year, I would contact Penn and ask them, or just lube it up, it could be they just didn't get enough in this one.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Ok I know you have to oil them once in awhile my ? to you is this. What type oil do you use to oil them. I have a 209 that I have had for years and I'm just now starting to use it. So give me some in put on what oil.Thanks.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    my old man says gun oil is the way to go, but I never put it in mine (although his penns work well) - in all honesty Ive never even had to oil mine, thats what worries me about this reel

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Let off the drag,it sounds like it tightened up after that heavy load or the spool free play nut on the left side of the reel got tighter.I have a 209 that I used for 30 years before I oiled it.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good info id agree sounds like the drag tightened up

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Those two Cats have proved that you don;t have a lemon.Have you tried adjusting your bearing tension knob on the left hand side?Also.Have you loaded it up with a heaver line,cranked your drag down and used it like a wench?This is the most common way most of us destroy a reel.On fish or logs,we are bad about overloading reels and destroying them.The reel is made to operate per the instructions that come with it.We operate them to suit us.Even with everything done by the book,you should have had a lot of drag generated heat in that reel with Cats that size.Heat does melt grease and thin oil.Also,your drag washers will wear out with enough wear from a lot of light use or a little very heavy use.If you are fishing for and catching multiple 40 lb.Cats on one trip,you might want to think about a Penn 500 Jigmaster or even a 345 GTI that is made for 50 lb.line instead of a reel made for 20 lb.I have never fished for large freshwater fish as I did not eat them.I have had the bad luck of many large saltwater sharks using my catch for bait.Many people in my area have fished with 209's for years.They use them to live bait shrimp for Saltwater Bass and Weakfish or "Trout"as they call them.Large Red and Black drum and sharks hooked in the edge of the mouth can destroy a reel with heavy line and the drag locked down.Big fish x drag = heat = melting lube.This is and always has been a problem with even the largest and most expensive of reels.As a kid I use to love to watch the Huge Penns being dissembled and gone over after catching or even fighting a huge fish in the 50's.From 100 lb.Tarpon to 1000+lb.Giants,the charters could not make a living without this type of gear maintenance.peewee-williams

8. harecutter

harecutter New Member

State:
    Sebastapol,Texas
    PeeWee has it right,not much you can add to his post...:big_smile:
    Rod

9. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I absolutely agree with you pee-wee, most people don't understand the concept that a rod is in different lengths, actions, and line rating because it is meant to do the work(not the reel). The current I fish is heavy and full of log jams so being able to "cross his eyes" and disorientate the fish for at least the first 10-15 feet of water are crucial. I don't cinch my drag all the way down, and just an estimate but my drag is probly set at around 15-17 lb
    so maybe that nut just tightened down after a few good fights. I know drag systems a crucial part of reel maintenance, and some drags are more heat resistant, smoother (less friction) and built with better materials than others. I have a Calcutta 700 that regardless of it being at 5 or 17 lb the line comes out silky smooth every time. I just can't afford them like I can a 209 lol

--I'm in no way saying Penn 209's arent quality, I have several Ive NEVER had a problem with, never even lubed one of them (9 years of use) and it still works great.

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Always loosen the drag after fishing. It will last longer and work better. Just don't forget to tighten up before fishing. I wouldn't know about that though. lol

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please let us know what you find out with the reel.We all have things that we can learn.Sharing is what the BOC is all about.A 12 ft.cane pole and 10 lb.line is a ample rig to handle most of the freshwater fish caught in this country.A properly fished stout hand line will handle the rest.Rods and reels are a luxury and fun to use.We often forget that they are not a necessity to fish.We all buy what we can afford or do without.Every manufacturer has made a lemon.I have found that our abuse in one form or another is the reason for most failure.Even cheap and low quality equipment will last far longer if you will just remember that it is cheap and low quality and treat it as such.We often forget or have never known that a lot of 130 lb.class fisherman set their drag at 26 measured lbs.which is only 1/5 th.of the line,rod and reel rating.Of coarse this is for open water and fast boat fishing.For your type of fishing I have a 40-80 lb.snagging rod,and a 4/0 reel spooled with a 79.3 lb.average breaking strength mono.line.Being I don;t have a pet Gorilla to man it,I have found that a son or grandson makes a great substitute.peewee-williams