Help with penn 209

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by fishing i go, Mar 16, 2007.

1. fishing i go

fishing i go New Member

State:
    alabama
    I just bought a penn 209 off ebay it is a level wind. I got know owners manual. can anyone tell me how to take it apart for oiling and cleaning. Thanks for any help.
    Billy :roll_eyes:

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Billy,
    If I was you I would not take that reel apart, It has lots of small parts, and lots of small washers ect. that have to be reasembled just right. And some of the parts will not work wright if they get oil on them. Does it work now? ( If its not broken doint fix it.) You can mail it to Penn and they will fix it for you. If you take it apart yourself go slow and keep the parts in order as they came out, or numer them, or take some close up photos as you take it apart.
    Goo
    d Luck If it works now , take it fishing and have a good time.
    Paul

3. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    if it just needs to be oiled there is one hole for oil on the clicker side of the reel and there are two holes on the handle side. if it need to be taken apart just take the side plate off and get a good degreaser and soak the side with the handle for a few minutes and then wash it out good. put a lite coat of grease on the gear and reassble the real and then use the oil ports on the real to oil it and dont forget to oil the worm gear with a lite coat if you have any qeustion just im me and i will walk you through it.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4644

take a look at this. its a #9 i did a tuteral on. now it is only 3/4 there. a staff member that helped me post it and posted the last coulpe frames was removed from the site along with all the posts including the last couple here.

i would suggest only removing the side plates and leave the guts in the crank side and just blast them out with wd-40. then lube with reel grease and assemble. then noting will fly away from ya. its a mess unless ya know how to do it.

i just recieved an abu vxl5000c green model today igot from ebay. great reel but it was full of grit. i had to a 100% dissassembly and clean it well. the worm gear was a mess with sand and grit. like a new one know. hope this helps.

5. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    go to penn reels webb site.you can download a breakdown of the reel..
    robin

6. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Billy
    If you can’t find a parts break down on Abu Garcia site for the 209, call their 800 number or e-mail the site and they will e-mail you a parts break down and owners manual. You will need the serial number located under the rod seat. Luck

7. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Billy disregard my poor advise. I was thinking of another of my reels a Abu ambassadeur, not my Penn 209. Sorry for that.

8. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    wd-40 will mess up the drag washers in penn reels i personally would go with a reel oil that is designed for fishing reels and not go wild with it

9. fishing i go

fishing i go New Member

State:
    alabama
    :big_smile: I wont to thank everyone for there help.The penn 209 is new to me.I have own a lot of reels but this is the first penn. Thanks for the help.
    Billy

10. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Billy, in general the Penn reels can be a difficult reel to re-assemble once totally torn down. Until I finally learned how, getting the anti-reverse dog spring back in place and buttoning up the assembly was hard. No, it was darn neared impossible. Once I learned to rotate the brass plate containing the main gear and drag assembly getting the dog spring back in place was easy.

If you have experience taking other casting reels apart and reading the parts schematics I don't know that you couldn't work through it.

From experience, I would suggest not disassembling the the side plates and rods that make up the frame. I have found it to be very time consuming and aggravating to get good alignment back for the level wind. I have fought both the 209 and 309 and that is the most difficult area to work for me.

If you have any questions I can help you with give me a note, post, whatever and I will do what I can. I have overhauled several of the Penn reels using the older design. Reels like the 209, 309, 140, 500, etc.

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If cleaning a Penn by only taking the left side off and washing with soapy water or any other cleaning method the drag should be tightened down as far as passable to keep water,oil or grease from getting under the drag.I will sometimes stick the whole reel in a bucket of hot soapy water and crank it several minutes then take the left side off,rinse under running water then let dry before greasing gears.
    Jake

12. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I currently have 12 209's, (usually old 'uns from ebay), and tear em down completely and reassemble. Funny how many I got that wouldn't even crank. Some were simply put back together wrong, and I got em cheap. I remember when I got my first one, I was hesitant to tear it down. I had the schematic, and a very helpful post on here to step by step tear one down, yet still I was hesitant. So I bought another, for 9 or 10 bucks, and took it completely down, thinking if I screw it up, I'm only out a few bucks. After tearing it down, and successfully getting it back together, did the first one. Someone else already mentioned this, but the dog spring is the only really difficult thing to put back. The spring is small, and I admit I must have lost 5 or so of em. I still have the step by step instructions from here (big thanks again, for that!!) and can email it to ya if interested. But definitely I'd recommend getting an old 209 for cheap on ebay or somewhere, and experiment with it. You may get frustrated at first (lord knows I did), but once you get it down, it will have been well worth all the new cuss words ya came up with when ya started. And on a side note....I've gotten 209's for 10-15 bucks, that once I cleaned and replaced drags, etc., as needed, that when finished I'd rather fish with those any new 100 dollar reel out there. If ya have any problems or questions, hit me up. I'd be glad to help.