Help with new rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by micah5634, Oct 3, 2006.

1. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Hi to all Iam new to the forum and to catfishing. Iam going to start fishing the mo river near st louis. I need help finding a nice heavy rod for flatheads.Going to use a penn 220gto reel and about 40lb test line. What rod would match this reel and the mo river lets say up to about $70.00. any advice would be great.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The Quantum Big Cat rod is a pretty good value at around $40 - 7'6", you want the Heavy action rod for the river. Should be available from local tackle shops (not basspro); if not, www.catfishconnection.com has them (look under Rods & Accessories | Zebco casting ) for a good price except for shipping.

Some folks like the Shakespeare UglyStick Tiger or BigWater rods but I've never used either one.

3. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Welcome aboard....well to answer your question a med heavy rod would be an all around good rod, as far as brand that depends on what you like. Quantum makes a reasonable price rod, as well as shakespeare, well under 70$. Really depends on what you like. Go to the store and get a feel for them. I like the way some rods feel but not others.

4. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    I have been looking online and would like to keep it at 7foot and with a foam handel. The ugly stick tiger looks nice but they only make it in med/heavy.shakespeare also makes a new rod called power rod in 7 foot heavy and it's only 25.00 compared to the tiger at 55.00 wonder why it's so much cheaper also bass pro has dawia beef sticks in 7 ft heavy for 16.88.

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i use the ugly stick i personally like the med/heavey action rods pulled in alot of big fish with it and never once thought it was to light

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    UGLY STICK in my opinon is a fine cattin rod. Just pick one with the right type of action. With that real you will want heavy action.
    A~

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I remend a Berkely big game they are only 19 bucks at wal-mart, they are very nice rods for the money. I own two and I love my.

8. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I use quantum big cat rods they are about 40, they are very good

9. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Going to go to bass pro tommorrow and look at the ugly stick tiger and a penn power stick.

10. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Micah, the Ugly Stick Tiger rod in MH will handle any cat that swims in the Missouri River or the Mississippi . You wouldn't want any more
    backbone .It's not a good catfish rod, it's a GREAT catfish rod.

11. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    well looks like it's going to be a mh tiger unless someone could suggest another 7ft heavy action rod with foam handle less than 75.00 having a hard time finding any that match those requirements.

12. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    went to bass pro today and looked at the tiger in mh i liked everything about the rod except the handle was to big around and to long for my liking.I think i might try one of the new penn slammer rods or a new shakespeare power rod.

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  14. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    those are some nice rods just a little out of my price range would like to stay around 70.00 looks like i might have to deal with the handle on the tiger it seems like the strongest rod for the money.

15. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    welcome to the boc. i would say the catmaxx heavy action rod.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a variety of rods all of which I paid less than 30$ for three are berkly big game from wallyworld they work as well as the eagleclaw CATCLAW and the other no name rods point being if you have confidence in your tackle it works

17. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I am using the King Kat rod from Cabela's and it's 9 ft and it was around $25 and I got a free hat with it. It's a powerful rod and I would not be afraid to fight any big cat with it.

MPO

Kirk

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If an extra foot dosent bother you the bigwater boat rods are verry nice feel like a tiger and they have a heavy action
    ** BWB 1120 8'0" 1 M H 40-80 3-12 7 + Tip
    I have this one ** BWB 1140 7'0" 1 M MH 20-50 2-6 6 + Tip and would compair it to the mh tiger they are about $5 more and have the a.o. guides:cool2:

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shakespear also makes the Ugly Stick Custom USCC 2270, 7 foot, handles 30-50 lb mono. There are one or two others in the Custom series that are similar in length, one for 15-30 lb line. But, I haven't found anyone who handles them. No price either. The one I've seen looks like a nice rod for big blues and flatheads.

20. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i own 19 ugly stiks 4 of them r tiger rods two mh ,1 heavy, 1 lite action love em all mh h have 7000 abu garcias 40 lb test trust them to break any state records with all of em (two mh 7 foot) (1 heavy 7 foot) one piece and (lite 8 foot) two piece have had them for 5 years now use them all year long you wont be disappointed. have had no problems with them 65 lb blue 67 shovel 73 lb blue biggest on three different tiger rods
    h.u.f.o
    hook up
    fish on