Help with new rod

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by stubhub, Oct 8, 2009.

1. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    Was out today, got snagged, was dumb, and broke my rod.
    Well, what do you guy suggest, I typically fish small ponds, but hopefully be able to fish more rivers and lakes next year.
    I do not really like the baitcast reels, prefer openfaced.
    at the most i want to spend $100.

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    If ya bank fish and don't like the baitcasters,you might check out some of the lighter surf casting combos at cabelas or other online sites,a 10 or 12 footer will give you alot more casting range. If your using a boat a shorter rod is easier to handle,and you don't need casting distance. pretty much any med/hvy rod should work,I would look for something that can handle at least a 4 oz. sinker and 30+ lb line. and a reel capacity that woill handle as much line as you think you would ever need,even after a couple break offs. If you want to fish for BIG fish more exclusivly then up you rod strenth to a heavy action rod and sinker weight to at least 8oz. and you might want to practice with a baitcaster,but it can be done with a spinning reel,just you'll gain alot of advantages with a good baitcaster like cranking power,heavier duty drags that can withstand more abuse from big fish,a clicker feature is real nice,and you can usually hold alot more line with a baitcaster and larger lb test.I didn't always like them myself,but after some practice and some cussing,I got it fiqured out and love them.

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    If you are wanting a spinning reel I would suggest one of the Shakespear combos from Walmart. I have one that has held up for 3 years now and taken down a hand full of 10lb+ channels and a 24lb flat. I would stay away from the Cabela's King Kat combo's, I got one 11lb channel on one I borrowed from a buddy and the drag system blew out on it.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id go to Gander Mt if you are wanting to find one locally. Some decent rods there. If you dont mind shoppin on line there are more options.
    Gets something that can handle atleast 6 oz and 30-40 lb line.
    If you need a reel, I suggest looking at an Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder.
    $100 will get you almost any rod. Personally, Id get 2 $50 rods instead.:wink:

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the ugly stick catfish should be all youd need and you shouldnt be able to break it :smile2:

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    id definately get shakespeare combos if you are only wanting to spend 100. you can find them at walmart for around 40 bucks. and when i first started out thats all i used was those openbails and i caught some big fish on them. i just switched to baitcasters cuz they are a faster retrieve and for a boat when u r drifting u need that quick retrieve

7. twinrivers

twinrivers New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree with Kyle go to gander mnt,I got an american spirit 8' medium heavy spinning rod for 30 bucks and it's really sweet. I'v also got an okuma avenger baitfeeder reel ,nicest reel i'v ever had , got it on ebay around 60 bucks.gander also has some combos you might like.good luck and good fishin:wink:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to recommend a rod that is designed for catfishing. The Tangling with Catfish rod is great for all types of fishing. You can get this rod for well under $100 and then find you a nice reel. I like the Shakespeare Tidewater reels and you can pick them up for 35$

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I am running a Shakespeare Alpha and have few complaints with the reel.
    (Mostly the mistakes are made by the idiot using the reel.) I would pair
    it with a Shakespeare Ugly Stick for catfish or one of the light saltwater
    models in the Tiger Ugly Stick line running from eight to nine feet. I would
    go with a two peice rod, because one peice rods are hard to store in a
    low ceiling home like mine. That and I've never had a rod fail just because
    it was a two piece rod. Put a good braid on it like Fireline or PowerPro.
    I'm running Fireline right now, but next time I change it will be PowerPro.
    I like how the PowerPro casts, but it needs a heavy mono leader for give.
    I would like an Okuma baitrunner or a Shimano baitrunner reel, but we
    want the price of the rig to be under $100, do we not?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  10. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Head for Gander Mountain and you'll find one you like. Shakespeare Powerod and American Nite Stik are my rods of choice. I picked up Daiwa DF100A GIANT spinning reels locally for about 50 bucks a piece. I've also had good luck so far with my Quantum 80 surge surf fishing combo.

11. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    ill reccomend a 8ft eagle claw m/h action.its a great all around rod from lake to pond.price is awesome at catfish connection for $16.you wont be dissapointed

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    put my son Leeland's rig together for about $100. its a Meat Hunter custom 7ft one piece (bout $50) with an Okuma Avenger 40 (bout $50). price of the rod includes havin his name put on so w/o name it'll be cheaper.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    From this discussion you can gather there are a lot of good choices out
    there, unlike years ago when you had to buy a musky rod to get one with
    backbone or use tackle designed for salt water. Now we have targeted
    catfish tackle in abundance if you know where to look and most are at
    reasonable prices. There is a problem. We have a wide range of sizes
    of fish to consider. Tackle that you use every day will not do if you
    are fishing for a world class blue or flathead. But you will be covered
    by most of these rigs suggested in the range of 5-30lbs. E-Glass can
    be a good thing, boron may add to the price and be fit only for ba$$.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    well for 100 bucks walmart has the Berkley glowsticks spinning combos for 49 each,so you could get two for all around general catfishing. Yeah custom rods and trophy fish rods are nice but honestly a good medium weight cat rod will provide lots of cats for the table.

15. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    thank you for all the help, i ended up gettin a 7' shakespeare ugly stick, nice thick guy, oh, and i also picked up a 30" pole for little stuff, pretty slick
    Is it possible to get a sticky set up somewhere for startup tackle around on this website.
    something with starter rod, reel, and bait, something simple, like a guide to start for $70 or something, be something that'd be good, explaining what things mean, and what you should get

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009