Help with my boat liner

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Army Guy, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I recently remodeled a 18 foot deck boat and have decided to use a bed liner material to seal up the floor. (commonly known as Rhino Liner) I am going to order from http://www.grizzlygrip.com

Has anyone ordered from them? Do you have any tips for applying this type of floor?

2. catwilly

catwilly New Member

State:
    nw illinois
    i thought about doing my front deck with that spray can liner that is at o`riley auto parts, used it on my yard cart 2 years ago and it`s holding up good through the winters full of firewood,

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I dont have any experience with it, but have talked to people who do spray in bedliners, and the most resounding thing they say is that prepwork is the key. If you do a half-hearted job of prepping it, you will not get the quality or results you want.

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Man, I wish I would have seen this post before I bought the "truck liner kit" from walmart. That stuff is worthless! I didn't know that you could buy a two part liner kit. I have been waiting two days now for the front end of my boat to dry!:crazy:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used the spray liner crap from Walmart to line a fountain I am working on. Completely worthless crap, what a mess. 3 out of 5 cans clogged up and dribbled everywhere....useless! Wife went back for more with defective cans for replacement and 2 of the next three cans clogged too. All I ended up with was a thin coat and a mess. has to be better stuff out there.

6. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    i just used herculiner on frontdeck of my pontoon it is great looks good only use a primer if you are going right to wood also on final coat you may want to use a smooth roller as the one they send leavers a ruff finish i used a gallon to cover a 7 ft by 6 ft area and put on 3 coats took about 2 hrs between 1st and 2nd coat and 12 hrs for last coat it was easy and good job any questions feel free to ask :smile2:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you are using a bedliner product to SEAL the floor you are fixing to FUBAR the job. Truckbed liner is not a sealer.

8. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

Im useing the liner to add some grip on the deck that I just fiberglassed over. But you brought up a good point though cause it seems like bedliner would be a good sealer over bare plywood. I usually mix up some fiberglass resin to go over bare wood before I carpet a floor. Will that work?

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    thats what I did, fiberglass resin straight to sanded wood, let set and dry, then add glue, and carpet. works fine for me.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Do you know why we have so many threads on the BOC about rotted out floors in boats?
    Fiberglass resin on plywood.

Thats what the vast majority of boat manufacturers particularly the fiberglass boat manufacturers do because it's cheap and they already have it on hand.

Fiberglass resin does not bond to wood. That already in itself promotes water intrusion. It's avenue of intrusion is secured.

Second consideration would be that fiberglass resin is NOWHERE NEAR being waterproof. What happens is water works its way in either through vapor or an actual drop. The resin is providing enough barrier that it doesn't get out near as easy as it went in. It turns into a cancer eating from the inside out. The silent killer.

Fiberglass resin is cheap and it has it's place which is what it was chemically engineered to do, bond fiberglass to fiberglass.
    To use it as a waterpoofer you might as well use sheetrock mud to repair a dent in your car.

Use the right material for the job and do the job one time. That is where you save time and money.

Epoxy on the other hand is more expensive but not that much more expensive unless you shop at the "boater stores".
    I can get 3 gallons of boat building epoxy for about 155 bucks.
    It was chemically engineered to bond with wood. It was purposely developed to do what we want to do in a boat.

11. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    a buddy just bought new a sheet of aluminum diamond plate 5' x 10' for $239 seems expensive but he wont be replacing it ever
    Bigred

12. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    i used rhino lining on two of my boats ,it works great,it comes with directions,and akit so you can roll it on instead of spraying it.i ordered mine on line from rhinolining web site,usually all u have to do is rough up your floor with a sander and wipe it down with acetone before you apply it .hope this imfo helps.larry d. grady

13. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    I've used the walmart roll-on on a few things and had good luck with it . do it in 2 or 3 coats in a warm place. if you use cans shake good and often, thin coats. don't mis-stake the under coating for liner. add a little sand for grip.