Help with Mcalpine dam in Kentucky?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Jeremy Leach, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    I have been wanting to go down and fish below the dam at Mcalpine but have been a little leary of it. I fish below Markland a lot so the swift water don't shy me away. I have heard a lot of people say you have to be carefull or you'll take the lower unit off your boat. Does anyone know where a guy could get into some big blue down there. Lower gates, upper gates, fossil beds, below the bar? What should I look out for when navigating also. Thanks in advance guys. :confused:

2. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Jeremy, If you want to go to the upper dam then you will need to know your way around the fossil bed, it also depends on the level of the river and how much dam there running on the upper. I've been up a few times,but with somebody else. I have a deep v boat so I don't try to go up it. As far as fishing the rest of it. Anywhere out from the gates and down river about 500yds. you will be safe. There is a stone walk way on down river towards the bridge that runs from Ind. to the island, so be careful. If you put in at New Albany be sure and run up beside the lock and stay close to the Ky. bank going past the island towards the hydros. Hope this helps...

3. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Thanks catfishhunter for the help. I'm going to give it a try in a few weeks and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

4. chris369145

chris369145 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Leach:

how shallow does it get below the falls of the ohio? Some people who have Deep-V's are afraid to run up there? Have you been up into the falls?
    Thanks

Chris