Help with making sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bigbigjoe76, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    Hey brothers, I just got a setup to start casting my own sinkers. I have started to collect wheel weights for my lead supply. I hear that when they start melting the metal clips will float to the top of the lead. My question concerns how clean do the wheel weights needs to be before trying to melt them. Some of the weights I have are coated with oil, so do I need to degrease them or will the oil burn up in the melting. Also some of the weights are the stick-on kind, so do I need to clean off the adhesive backing before melting. Also I have heard that some of the newer wheel weights are not made of lead at all, so do I need to discard them or will they melt and mix with the lead. Any kind of help or opinions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!

Joe

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well as far as I know oil will just burn up because I always oil my core pins every 3-4 pours and all they do is smoke a little. and Im would think any kind of adhesive would just burn up. but then again wait for a few more replies because I dont have all that much experience using tire weights.

also almost any kind of used lead you use is gonna have nasty stuff floating on the top, just skim off as much as you can and your ready to pour.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, you don't want chunks of grease on the weights, because grease & oil are going to cause a lot of smoke & smell. The steel clips will definitely float to the top. Find yourself a big old spoon and screw the handle to a piece of wood a foot or so long so you can hold wood without touching the metal handle, which will get very hot while you are using the spoon to scrape off the clips & other impurities. Even if you've got a production furnace, you'll want to melt the wheelweights down in an old pot of some kind. My personal favorite is a heavy duty saucepan. You can either work right out of this pan, or make up clean lead ingots to use with your production furnace. If you don't have an old spoon and old saucepan around the house about ready to throw away, go by Goodwill, your local rescue mission or some such place where you can buy them for next to nothing. A teflon-coated saucepan with most of the teflon scratched off is just about worthless for cooking, but will work just fine for melting lead.

Wheelweights are great for making things like sinkers, where there isn't any fine detail in the mold. But if you get into molding small leadhead jigs, you'll have better success with pure lead, so if you get hold of some pure lead, you may want to keep it separate from the wheelweight lead.

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Most of the old dark gray wheel weights are pure or almost pure lead. Most of the newer ones are painted silver gray to match most rims. You'll find some seperation of different leads from pour to pour. Some shiney and some bright but dull, all is ok.

Use the large spoon to scrape the bottom and sides of the pot. Some trash will stick there and needs to be scraped to float.

Save your scrap and throw it in a recycle bin.