help with Limb lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Treypd99, May 9, 2008.

1. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have been setting some limb lines on a small ozark stream and the current has been giving me hell.

I need some tips to keep my bait from wrapping around the line.

here is how I rig, Slip knot tied to the limb, then run off enough line to reach the bottom, take10 inches of line and doubled it then an overhand knot, use the loopmade from the 10 inches of line to secure my hook , then tie then the line to my weight,

when I check the line and it doesent have a fish on it my bait is always wrapped around my main line as many time as possible. :sad2:

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I would use a three way swivel rig. Main line to one, weight on one and leader and hook on the other. I typically use 8-12 inch line for the weight and 18-24 inch line for the leader and hook. Ensure that you have more than enough weight to stay on the bottom. This keeps the current from wrapping the weight around the hook line.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    When I use a weight on a limbline, it's a pinch-on type placed on the line 3-4 inches above the hook.

4. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I usually use a weight or hook lower to the dorsal fin.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    I TIE OFF THE LIMB WITH A SLIP NOT THEN USE A EGG SINKER 8OZ GO ABOUT 6-10 INCHES TIE HOOK 6/0-10-DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU ARE AFTER THEN YOU SHOULD NOT GET TANGLED BUT IF YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE BUY THE VIDEO @MEGA CAT CREW .COM

6. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i dont use a weight sometimes but i hook my live bait and place it in the water about 2" thats all let it flop around on top.

7. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Trey' you will be surprised how many fish you can catch at or just under the surface, esp. when the water is high and running in the tree tops.

8. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I tie to the limb, put enough egg sinker on to keep the line in the water, and attach about a 10 inch leader and hook below the egg sinker. I only fish with live bait, and I never have the bait deeper than 2 feet. I catch really good cats and don't get tangled up. Catfishjon

9. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I set limb-lines on a VERY LITTLE creek in Indiana. I use black nylon twine (to keep thieves @ bay) and stainless hooks with no weight, on flexible limbs over the banks. I have always set the hooks no more than 1 inch under the water and am very confident with 4-6 inch creek chubs (live) as baitfish. I have learned many new and improved methods in the two days since I joined this site that I can't wait to try out. Thanks guys, and I'll be sure to post whatever I try that does/doesn't work for me!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Trey & Jesse, welcome to the BOC!

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey trey

Are you using braided or twisted line?

have a good one
    just

12. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    First off if the current is giving you problems make sure you lip hook or eye hook the bait, if you dorsel hook them you will end up drownding them.
    Second if you put your weight on the bottom you only need a 3 to 4 inch leader on a swievl about a foot under the water.
    Third another way is to put a egg sinker just under water level with swievl and a 3 or 6 inch leader. Rember if your in current lip or eye hookup in calm water dorsel or tail hookup.
    Location has alot to do with catching fish personaly I like log jams but when the water is high the back water will produce alot of nice fish. Over hang on cut banks is another good place. Look around you will fine there favorite spots.
    Loop

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i would suggest having a sliding sinker instead of tying it on. when you tie something on the line it creates a knot and a knot reduces the strength and then you have a weak point in the line where a fish has a better chance of breaking off. if you do want to tie a weight on use a 3 way swivel, this way you dont have to worry about the weight being above your hook. you could also use a splitshot to snap 6-8 inches above you hook so it acts as a stopper from the sinker hitting your hook. just my opinion and advise.

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    limb lines are something that everyone has opinions on mine is to get a good nylon line hook of your choice and egg sinker drill the hole bigger for your line 6-8oz is perfect put your bait 1ft. off the bottom and find log jams ,riprap ,and eddys to put your bait in
    we use big baits and have this problem maybe 3out 24 lines we set out
    then we re set the line out of the current on those sets that get tangled
    remember its better to have it down right and have everything perfect
    than to be underprepared
    dont take the chance because if you do catch a big one you dont want to miss it