Help with learning to use jugs in lake.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Big Dav, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have never used jugs and I am going to give it a try. Hopefully at the lake this weekend. I looked through the library and found some great ideas on building jugs and have decided to go with the design provided by Ben Luna(Gentleben) and Randy(RandyTX). Thanks for sharing your design.:big_smile:

I still need to decide on the rigging to use. I was thinking about khale hooks or circle hooks but don't know for sure. Any suggestions? Also, I have no clue about type of line, sinkers, etc I should use. I need a crash course in Jugging 101 and I need it fast.
    I have to place a call to the Department of Game tomorrow and make sure about the laws and my interpretation of what I have read about using jugs in Va. Any heads up info from anyone that know about jugs in VA would be much appreciated. I was thinking about buying my Tn licenses and giving it a try on the Tn side. I haven't fished the Tn side since my Tn licenses expired back in the spring.
    I will be trying this at South Holston reservoir and the lake is at an all time low (except when it was drained to do repair on the dam many years ago). My usual good spots are now dry land and I am having to find new spots as the water level continues to drop. That is one reason for trying jugs, cover more area in a shorter time. The other reason is meat.:big_smile: The conditions are changing every weekend and a great spot that I found three weeks are is now dry land.
    I also would like to get any tips on fishing (searching) in such a fast changing environment.
    If I don't get to try them this weekend I will try them next weekend for sure.
    I am sorry if the subject of Jug fishing has been covered from top to bottom. I did a search and came up with a little information but I know there are those of you on here that don't mind sharing your wisdom with others and God knows I need all the help I can get.:big_smile:
    Thanks for any and all help.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The best advice I can give you is to try to find underwater structure similar to what you used to fish. They will still hang close to that type structure. Second is to spread your jugs out and cover some area - possibly free float them for a few hours while you tend them to see if you can locate a hot spot. Third, vary the depth of your bait. I think VA is abut the same level north to south as Oklahoma, so, other that the dry, hot wind, the water conditions should be similar. In some lakes the cats are shallow, 4 to 6 foot of water - the ones I am catching via rod & Reel are running between 19 to 25' of water. Fourth, try different baits - these are hitting on large minnows threaded on a hook as a worm would be - I haven't got hits on shrimp or cut bait, but in all honesty, I haven't used it much since I found them hitting the minnows. Good luck...

3. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Very good words friend...just love reading your post...

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't forget to carry some kind of Jug retrieving device, ( broom handle, heavy cane pole, pvc pipe etc.) with a hook made of heavy wire. Makes life a lot easier when retrieving jugs with a fish on or from under snakey looking limbs and places you can't quite get your boat to.

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Before you put your jugs out, Use your depth finder to mark the depth fish are hanging out. Set the depth of your bait accordingly.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I always like to have the hooks on my juglines covering the entire water column, from near the bottom to near the surface. Hooks are a matter of personal choice; I switched from "J" hooks to kahles, and really liked them, but found that they rusted out after a single season. So, I'm back to using "J" hooks (regular, not stainless). Try a few of those floats in actual fishing before you make up a whole slew of them. With them scattered all over the lake, you may find that you want to use a larger diameter noodle for greater visibility. Visibility and cost are the two reasons I use 2-liter soda jugs. If you're night jugging, get you some chemlight sticks from AKWolf (sponsor) and stick one in the upper end of each jug. That will not only let you keep track of the jugs, but when the jug tips up, the chemlight stands up, letting you know to check that jug. Again, the actual line used to make a jugline is a personal choice, but I'd definitely stay away from mono for lines over 5'-6' long. The only time I use mono is when I'm jugging for crappie. I want a strong line, but when it hangs up, I've got to be able to break the line; nylon line testing around 100# is about right for me. I always used braided line for my trotline drops to prevent the line's 'twist' from coming loose, but I don't seem to have much trouble with that when jugging, so I use twisted line because it's smaller diameter, and it's cheaper.